+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drum over flow control/valve

Default Drum over flow control/valve

Looking to buy a drum over flow control. We want to "connect" two barrels in serial so after one is full syrup from the press will flow to the second.

I've seen two models available at Bascom's and not sure of the pros/cons of each.

What are you all using ?
    1,500+ taps
    H20 600 GPH RO
    3x13 Hurricane Force 5
    7.5" Poly Pneumatic Press
    We offer a farm to table breakfast during season!
    Hollis Hills Farm

I use one that is made by Lapierre, it works good. I don't see why they are so pricey but they work. I think either will do fine, just get the cheaper one. Mine is the one they label DOFC but when I got it the price was only $125 which still seemed too high. It does prevent lots of messes and you don't need to keep checking how full the barrel is while filling. I run the overflow J bend into a 4 or 5 gal SS pot on top of the drum because I don't want to fill a second barrel in a row very often. While filtering I just glance at the overflow hose to know when the barrel is full. Syrup in that hose means barrel full. Simple, and keeps the syrup where you want it, not all over the top of the drum or on the floor. The other one Bascom shows looks like it should work too, but all barrels must have the bung at the outer edge of the drum. Mine do, but I've seen many that aren't, they are in the center.
    With mine, when the barrel is full I just shut off the pump on the filter press. Then I release the cam lock and lift slowly so I don't have drips falling off the longer tube into the barrel. I then use a dish or cup or bowl to catch the last few drips as it is lifted, for a totally clean barrel top with no lost syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The DOFC is the one I was leaning toward. I also don't understand why they are over $200. I looked all over the internet for something similiar that wasn't made for the maple industry hoping I'd find it for under $50 but can't find anything similar anywhere.
    1,500+ taps
    H20 600 GPH RO
    3x13 Hurricane Force 5
    7.5" Poly Pneumatic Press
    We offer a farm to table breakfast during season!
    Hollis Hills Farm

Get a replacement bung or a 2" threaded pipe plug and drill 2 holes in it the same size as the metal tubing on the end if your hose. Or thread it to accept short piece of pipe and barbs to fit your hose.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Does anyone use these on stainless kegs? These kegs are not modified, I seal them with a sanitary cap and gasket. The inside diameter is 1 7/8" on the keg. Not sure if it will work?
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

+ Reply to Thread