+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 Jump starter

Default 3/16 Jump starter

Yesterday I hooked up a small suction pump to a barely running 3/16 run. My thought is to give the line a jump start by applying the vacuum to get thing moving then disconnecting the mechanical suction and letting the natural take over. Initially the sap flowed quickly half way filling the suction container. I kept the 25mmhg suction on the line for 15 minutes or so. When I disconnected it the vac reversed in the line before equalizing.

I am going to hook up the suction pump to one of my 3 lines today when the temp get to 32 and see if this line runs any faster on the other 2.

Any thoughts on this?

I think your sucking the juice out of your lines which is what is giving your natural vacuum the ability to work
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    I think your sucking the juice out of your lines which is what is giving your natural vacuum the ability to work
    I agree. I think leave the lines alone (other than checking them for leaks or blockages) or hook them up to a vacuum pump and leave them hooked up.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

You know I was thinking the same thing as 325abn . I've seen times when the sap is barely running, and you turn the vacuum on and things really come in . Once it's started nature will take over .
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

Without meaning to, I did this today.

I was experimenting with a recirculation line this evening. initially ran a small 3/16" line but the pump was starving every so often so I changed it to a 3/4" line and let it run for a coupe hours. When I went to shut the pump down about an hour ago, I noticed the sap retreated but about 2 minutes later it recovered and seemed to be flowing faster without the pump...??..

+ Reply to Thread