+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electricians, am I missing something??

Default Electricians, am I missing something??

I have a small transfer pump (115v / 1.8 amp) and a generator (120v / 1800 watts). I cannot power the pump off the generator???. Since it had been a while since I used the generator, brought it back to the shop, plugged a grinder (120v / 6 amp) into it, worked fine. So then thinking the pump was bad, brought it back to the shop, plugged into wall outlet and worked fine... I thought 110, 115, and 120 were, for all intent and purposes, the same??

The starting current of a motor can be as much as 13 times the full load amps of the motor and that can kick the snot out of a generator. Pumps take longer than many other motors to come up to full speed and they essentially look like a short circuit to the power supply until they do. I'm guessing that your generator just hates your pump.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    The starting current of a motor can be as much as 13 times the full load amps of the motor and that can kick the snot out of a generator. Pumps take longer than many other motors to come up to full speed and they essentially look like a short circuit to the power supply until they do. I'm guessing that your generator just hates your pump.
    The pump isnt even trying to move, it's not even loading the generator. Agree that my generator does t like the pump but, the start up of the pump is less than the grinder that worked fine.

If the generator is starting the saw at 720W no problem, I'm thinking the cord on the pump has an issue. Even though you p;lugged it into the wall outlet and it worked fine. plug it in again and wiggle the cord at the outlet and where it goes into the motor housing of the pump. Also if you have a volt meter check how many volts at the generator when idling.

As a general rule of thumb motors can go over by 10% and under by 5% of rated voltage and still work fine.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Try to plug in something else like a drop light , then try your pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    The pump isnt even trying to move, it's not even loading the generator. Agree that my generator does t like the pump but, the start up of the pump is less than the grinder that worked fine.
    That is weird, but no reaction at all from the generator means a cord or plug issue is most likely the cause. If it isn't a connectivity problem, does this pump have a starting capacitor? Some do. It's a little metal can with a wire lead usually located in the terminal box where the cord connects. It might be sensitive to the generator, but that seems like a long shot.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Generator didn't know it was there! Plugged another device in there and when the generator pulled down, plugged the pump in and all is good.

I think not.
    Life is Good

Seems a bit obvious I know but is there a chance that it's tripping the gfi on the generator. Try multiple receptacles also, sometimes the blades can get worn out in the receptacles if it's a well used gen or pump cord end, possibly making a bad connection on there and not on the wall plug you tried it on. Like was mentioned already too try simply moving the cord around to see if there is a loose connection anywhere. It doesn't seem like an issue of overload, more a connectivity issue. Just my 2cents!
    2018 Same shed/sugar shack. Same barrel stove , with an upgraded 18”x 24”x 6” pan, a preheater and blower
    22 (very productive) taps on buckets

2017 Home made barrel stove set up with 2 SS serving trays, in a 12x16 shed/ sugar shack, 14 buckets and 2 gals made. We’re Hooked!
    A 32hp Yanmar Cub Cadet EX 3200, Back Saver

2016 Turkey Fryer and wood stove outside, 6 buckets, 0 gals and a story!

Still the same scenario, has been since I last posted. I've tried different outlets, is not tripping breaker. Tried plugging in the pump with and without generator running. It will not pump unless I plug something else in. Once the pump starts running, I unplug the other. Whatever it is, whatever the process, it is working for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast