+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning gravity sap lines

Default Cleaning gravity sap lines

I have cleaned my sap lines for years with a bleach solution and lots of rinse water. I pump up the line and walk back down pulling taps and then walk back up again closing taps as the rinse water runs. Then I walk down again opening the taps and let them drain for a week and then walk up again to close them for the year.

I am interested in using hydrogen peroxide and need to know the proper ratio and an economical source. (And whether bleach or hp works better?)

Secondly, now that I have started to replace taps annual, is it better to cut the tap now and leave the tubing secure on the tee nip or is it better to keep the tap there on the nip until I replace it in the next season?

Thank you for any insights.

I just rinse with water, so I can't help with the solution to your problem . Get it, "solution"?

Anyway, I'll tell you this. Unless you're going to take the laterals down and store them in a very insect-proof location, you should leave the drops attached and the tap on the nip until next winter. In my area, mason bees will fill the Ts with mud and cause you lots of problems.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Keep the old tap on through the summer and replace prior to tapping. Leaving them plugged in helps keep bugs out. And waiting to replace ensures a cleaner tap for the tree. We used to pump a solution through our gravity lines same as you but haven't bothered to in a couple years. Clean taps and drops are most important.

I made a fitting for my transfer pump and just pump water thru the lines after removing the taps from the trees about a week before I take them down. When I roll them up I give them a shot of compressed air and Stowe them away
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Do a search on here there are plenty good ideas on this site to help you.
    Tap'em if ya got'em.

We use 2 quarts of hydrogen peroxide (35%) to 100 gallons of water to clean out our tubing and then rinse it out with water.

Thanks for your insights.

I just use water to rinse my lines but i do it from the top down. If you are lucky enough to still have sap in the lines pulling vaccum remove the first tap at the top or your line and stick it in the water bucket and let gravity do the work. i then walk down the line and pull taps and let them dry a few days.
    I pull my lines and store them in the barn till the next season.
    Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

We have been cleaning lines in our operation for about 37 years.

For the last three seasons or so I have discovered that a back back sprayer that holds 5 gallons has been the best for filling the drops.

I cut the sprayer wand down to 3" and add on a section of 5/16 tubing. I fill the drop with peroxide solution and then cap it and allow it to hang down.

In the fall I will do the same process again after allowing the solution to get into the lines and pump some thru. This is usually a December chore before things freeze up.

Prior to this we used every thing from electric pumps, a gas power tubing washer that pumped solution of bleach and compressed air up the lines. You wanted to have on clothes you didn't care about because you were going to get a bath when a line would blow. This sucked a$$.

Bleach will draw squirrels but a kid with a 22 or the new gamo pellet riffle can make quick work of those ...

But just one squirrel can ruin a bunch of line.

We are all vac for since mid 1970's and I will rinse the lines with a tank of solution thru the mains after the season and prior to filling the drops. I run a bunch of ladders and scum will mess up a ladder, unless you use 1/2" risers. But I still cant stand looking at black stuff in the lines.

Peroxide I use is from CDL...chart on bottle to mix from.

Wear gloves as it will whiten your hands with just a drop.

If you look at Steve Childs data clean lines produce equally as well as new. I do recommend a new seasonal spout and clean gloves when tapping.

Some will say that you are wasting your time but with a glass releaser you see every thing and the stuff I get in the sap filter will make you wonder. ie a hole fly, inch worms, spirals from the mains drill, saw dust and chips.

I replace the next season so that there is less chance of contamination but I use the spout plugs with a tubing clip so that in the winter the drop is on the line. Hate searching for drops in the years the snow is to deep, and when the deer run thru the bush we end up with hanging drops when we used the nip on the tee.

Best of Luck to ya!

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast