+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cost of production

Default Cost of production

I am curious if anyone has determined how much it costs them to produce a gallon of syrup and if so the style of formula you used. previously I have just ball parked my cost of production but would like to be a bit more accurate with my numbers. I have looked through the business side of thing through the 2014 posts with no help and really don't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks!
    Adam
    2015 - 18 taps 1 Gallons, Turkey pan
    2016 - 85 taps 5 Gallons, 2x4 Smokey lake maple continuous flow flat pan
    2017 - 130 Taps, 18 gallons, 2x4 Smokey Lake Maple continuous flow, 8'x12' sugarhouse.
    2018 - (planning) 250 taps, 4x40 200GPH RO, 2x4 Smokey Lake Maple continuous flow.

That's a lot of folks don't really want to think about. It cost about $30,000 to make my first gallon several years back, and they get cheaper every season. Then there's the whole labor question. It took me 15 hours one day last week to make 10 gallons, but my tax form doesn't show any "cost of labor" because I don't have any employees. Lots of labor though.

As Dr. Evil said... ONE BILLION DOLLARS hahahaha Unless a producer is leveraging equipment such as an RO, tubing and proper sized equipment so you're not boiling 16 hour a days and collecting another 4 the cost of labor and time spent for a small producer 500 taps or less isn't justifiable from a business perspective. From a profit margin perspective when you consider that profit margins simply are not high enough. Hobby producers make syrup for the sheer joy of making syrup. We see cash in pocket from syrup sales but if we actually paid ourselves we'd make probably $5 an hour or less.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Sad part is I would give up my 30 dollar an hour job to make 5 dollars an hour to make syrup. The problem is its hard to live on 6 weeks pay a year. I have bought all new this year so so far it has cost me 350.00 to
    make a gallon not counting labor. Wait a minute, why am I doing this?
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Ha, I get it. I was more so refering to time / wood / electricity.

Other items such as bottles, glass would be cost of goods. Tubing, taps, pumps tanks, and equipment would all be capital items, not necessarily cost of production.

Didn't know if anyone has done it that way

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 - 130 Taps, 18 gallons, 2x4 Smokey Lake Maple continuous flow, 8'x12' sugarhouse.
    2018 - (planning) 250 taps, 4x40 200GPH RO, 2x4 Smokey Lake Maple continuous flow.

On the other hand, I'm on track to make about $7,000 worth of syrup this year. I'm an old retired fart, and just entertaining myself with this hobby. I don't think I'd see that kind of cash flow from an electric train set.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It depends upon many factors, size is one of the largest drivers of cost. A lot of information at:

https://blog.uvm.edu/farmvia/?page_id=394
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I think if you are looking at profit margin then you need to consider all factors from cutting wood to labeling your bottles and all in between! My guess is less than $4.00/hr Think of the amount you Need to invest before you even make a cent!!! I don't know anyone that is doing this or any form of farming to become rich!!

My guess is you'd have better luck with a scratch ticket if you are looking at a extremely high level of income!!

That said my wife is selling our 8.5 oz bottles at an average of two per day......and everyone has come back with a smile on their face and compliments on how tasty the syrup is! I have said it before here, my great grandfather was a large dairy farmer he wasn't rich but survived 93 years farming......
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It depends upon many factors, size is one of the largest drivers of cost. A lot of information at:

https://blog.uvm.edu/farmvia/?page_id=394
    Thanks Dr. Perkins

I think the majority of people are missing my point. And / or don't understand the question.

There are many different divisions of costs from an accounting stand point. Take a look at a ballance sheet, cost of production is just one of the many. All of the parts come together to make a return on profit schedule (or break even point). There are many moving parts.

If I was to sit down and figure how much I've spent then yes, It's somewhere I'm in the area of $1000 to make a gallon. I'm not looking to make a million selling syrup. No way no how, but I also don't want to be throwing out $45 dollars in every gallon I sell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast