+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Cost of production

Correct, the printing of money does reduce the value of currency. All one needs to do is to look at history of economies when large amounts of currency has been printed. Not less than the printing of new US bills and coins from 2006 to 2015.

Yes the US dollar is worth more than the Canadian currency, currently. That's why the addition of tariffs and duties will bring balance to the market and stave off financial doom for US farmers from a massive flooding of markets from cheaper sources abroad. Just look at what has happened to the beef market since the mid 1970's. If it were not for the droughts of the last 3 years in the south and west beef farms of NY and New England would have been decimated. And even with low numbers of cattle, prices are low due to all the boxed beef comin in from South America, where there is little to no safety protocols in farming. They still use products that were outlawed here decades ago.

We Maple Producers should take a lesson from the beef producers manual and be promoting Product Safety measures. Our large buyers will nolonger except syrup in potentially harmful containers so why are producers still collecting sap in old galvanized buckets, or in tank that are not safe for potable water?

These producer are liable for health issues down the road, just as the manufactures of PFOA products are being held liable in my area.

It is a good notion to build a nest egg or to build ones farm or business to a point at which the next generation can take over and the previous can retire securely. But to build the nest egg one needs to have some semblance of the value of ones time. If one is engaged in an undertaking that is loosing money then it takes longer to build the egg. Money can not buy happiness," but it can buy you a boat and a truck to pull it" to where you can find relaxation and happiness.

I am perplexed why it is that when one offers a differing point of view it is called getting on a soap box???

It would be a very boring world if everyone saw things from the same perspective and it would be the death of common sense.

Best part of all this is that the "raw material" is in most cases is free to us!! Have to love making a finished product
    From something that costs nothing!
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910