+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Poorer Man's Diaphragm Pump Vacuum System

Quote Originally Posted by sugarsand View Post
    We started using these ebay cheapies last year, still running strong this year. The pumps are all 4L/m and draw about 1.1 amps an hr, which if I understand it right, a 12amh battery should last10 - 11 hours. These pumps will generate more sap at a cheap cost.
    I have mostly reds, so I'm counting on vacuum to keep them flowing when they would otherwise be finicky. I have a cluster of three trees with a total of four stems with one of the trees being a double or triple tapper that I want to put one of these rigs on. The trees are in full sun and sit in a creek bed so they have crowns that would make the queen of England blush. I should get a pic of them.

Anyway, the pumps won't draw full Amps the whole time, so I think your estimate on the run time of the batteries is conservative. They have to be pushing against full backpressure to draw full Amps. I anticipate significantly longer run times, especially if the pumps are shut down during freezes using the cheap temperature controllers I also got from Amazon but haven't figured out how to protect from weather yet. I will probably just throw a ziploc bag over them and staple it to a backboard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is fun.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

That little controller will work great. Calibrate the temp first. Mine was off a few degrees, but with calibration it's working perfectly for my Shurflo 4008 setup.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Quote Originally Posted by littleTapper View Post
    That little controller will work great. Calibrate the temp first. Mine was off a few degrees, but with calibration it's working perfectly for my Shurflo 4008 setup.
    Good point, but it came without instructions and I don't see any way to calibrate it. I was going to just determine its bias by setting the probe in slushy water to see what it reads and adjusting my setting accordingly.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Thank you very much for that link!
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

Thanks for the explanation, Cedar Eater... Makes perfect sense...
    I have another question though... I'm thinking about a way to allow the sap to bypass the pump and work on natural gravity/vacuum, in a case where the battery goes dead or pump quits... Do you think your "bypass" line would accommodate enough volume for this on 40 or 50 taps? I was also thinking maybe about some sort of 2nd bypass line with a weak check-valve in it.. (that the pump would pull closed under vacuum, but it could fall open if vacuum disappears.
    Any ideas??

PS - another thought... Will the trees not draw your sap back though your bypass... if you are not there to disconnect things when the temp starts going down each evening??....
    Last edited by wmick; 03-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, Cedar Eater... Makes perfect sense...
    I have another question though... I'm thinking about a way to allow the sap to bypass the pump and work on natural gravity/vacuum, in a case where the battery goes dead or pump quits... Do you think your "bypass" line would accommodate enough volume for this on 40 or 50 taps? I was also thinking maybe about some sort of 2nd bypass line with a weak check-valve in it.. (that the pump would pull closed under vacuum, but it could fall open if vacuum disappears.
    Any ideas??

PS - another thought... Will the trees not draw your sap back though your bypass... if you are not there to disconnect things when the temp starts going down each evening??....
    There's a very smart controller that Biz will be marketing called the Super Sap Sucker that opens a valve to allow gravity flow when the pump gets shut off due to cold or low battery. I don't think the bypass will accommodate much flow with natural gravity. I would not turn the pump off until the temps drop to at least -1oC. By that time, the frozen tubing should be preventing either natural gravity flow or reverse flow. Keep in mind that the goal here is a cheap system for fewer taps and lower amounts of flow than you would put through a Shurflo 2088 or 4008. You won't lose much if you lose the whole system and you won't lose much sap if you're not running when you would want to be.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

We also use a bypass by placing a tee in the inline with a piece of 3/16 long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Below the tee is a cheap little plastic valve that I found on ebay. By opening the valve full, with pump shut off, I get full bypass. You can adjust the valve to get the best performance from your pump.
    Hospitals recieve things in thick styrofoam coolers that are usually thrown out, they work great to house the pump and battery against cold and rain.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

Well Cedar Eater - You convinced me... Got a late start this year... A Fresh built rig that hasn't boiled a drop yet.... Waiting for the weather to turn and worried that it will be a very short stint of sap ... Figured I could use a little edge. (vacuum)
    Gave my credit card number to Amazon and Voila.... should have the goodies by the weekend, to build your system... We can compare notes..
    BTW - How many taps, max, on 3/16" would you attempt with a setup like this..
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Well Cedar Eater - You convinced me... Got a late start this year... A Fresh built rig that hasn't boiled a drop yet.... Waiting for the weather to turn and worried that it will be a very short stint of sap ... Figured I could use a little edge. (vacuum)
    Gave my credit card number to Amazon and Voila.... should have the goodies by the weekend, to build your system... We can compare notes..
    BTW - How many taps, max, on 3/16" would you attempt with a setup like this..
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    I'm new at the mechanical vacuum game so I'm trying the more conventional Shurflo 4008 next year on about 50 taps (two lines of approximately 25 taps each) and the significantly cheaper version this year on 30 taps max. I chose the 25 tap number because some people have claimed that 25 is the ideal number for 3/16 on mechanical vac. But having said that, any vacuum is good vacuum so the right number might be dependent on how well vacuum can be transmitted down the line. If I reach a point where I can disconnect the far end tap and the line doesn't get sucked out immediately, I'll know that I've gone too far.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast