+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exposed steel in the arch

Default Door insulation

Johnallin, thanks for the pictures. I like your sandwiche approach but wonder how long it will hold up. I suspect the bolts or nuts (whichever is on the fire side) will eventually disintegrate from prolonged exposure to extreme heat. If you got two years out of it w/o having them turn to dust, my hats off to you. Did you use some special bolts that can take the heat? Also your inside part of the sandwich appears to be metal. Tell me that won't get red hot after an hour or two of steady cooking. Then like my small flat iron wedge pieces, it becomes a hazard while fueling. Sounds like there is no easy solution.

On the 2x6 I made last year I welded nuts to the inside of the door and just used bolts through the insulation blanket to keep it attached the door. The bolts were 1/2 inch grade 8 and held up great. I have heard of others using grade 8 bolts with good success
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by TedA View Post
    Johnallin, thanks for the pictures. Did you use some special bolts that can take the heat? Also your inside part of the sandwich appears to be metal. Tell me that won't get red hot after an hour or two of steady cooking. Then like my small flat iron wedge pieces, it becomes a hazard while fueling. Sounds like there is no easy solution.
    The bolts are stainless steel along with the inside piece of metal. So far, after two seasons, so good. It does get hot, but no hotter than the cast iron door alone.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

OK, johnallin is on to something here. After reading his response, it seems that I made several mistakes. One was my bolts through the door were too small. Second they were not stainless steel. Third my wedge pieces were barely 1/8 inch and were normal ferrous steel, not stainless. After a couple of hours of cooking, my thin wedge pieces were bright cherry red (i.e. super hot). Johnallin used stainless bolts and his inside plate is 1/4 inch stainless - which being thicker and stainless - heats up more slowly.

I use some expanded metal. Yes, only last one or two years but holds and protects blanket.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

I would second using just plain steel, and the stainless bolts, just did this on my setup, and yes the sheetmetal does get a nice cherry red, but should last several seasons. My rig throws enough heat that loading is done from the side so I am never too close to the red hot metal.
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12