+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weather change

Default weather change

yeah, and the change, for a change should be normal. I live in Flint area, and as I suppose most L P. folks have had it with the to hot/ to cold stuff. but it may be a banner finish to the season if trees cooperate with the above/below weather coming our way. Here , it looks around thurs. so I started sunday, on my new barrel arch. With the season coming to an end, I didn't plan to do it this year, but thought , I have the barrel and what I need, and the down time. It is done except for the smokestack. now lets hope mother nature, doesn't harpoon us again

Thinking the same thing.
    Sitting today with the last of the sap in the finish pan from the last run here last week.

Looked at temps and thought you know this could just be a good thing if they kick up again. I should be able to get in another couple hundred gallons of sap which with the lower sugar this year would be a good thing as we would be around seven to ten gallons of syrup again.

Sitting with just under three of syrup now About half a gallon finishing, we also turned two into sugar. So yup more would be nice. A good five to seven day run would top it off perfectly.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Looks like it's going to be cold days and colder nights for a while here still. The tubing and trees will both have to thaw before I'll get another run.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

We're in NW ohio and I agree it looks like the season will go out in style. Forcasting Thurs. to Thurs. above/below temps. Fingers crossed
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

+ Reply to Thread