+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Energy efficient windows?

Default Getting Energy efficient windows?

I was thinking of changing the windows in my living room since we have been getting a lot of draft in the house even though we have sealed up the windows properly. A friend of mine suggested getting energy efficient windows. I didn't know how good they were so I thought about doing a bit of research online and I saw this blog ( http://northtechwindows.ca/2017/02/1...e-energy-bill/ ). It sounded promising but still, I don't want to buy them unless I am absolutely sure that they are good. Has anybody over ever used them before? I am not looking for anything too expensive either. Any thoughts on this would be great.

i sell windows and doors,siding for a living. you want to look for virgin vinyl,sloped sill, what kind of spacer the glass has among other things. warranty should be lifetime on frame,parts and at least 20 years on the glass. i would suggest going with a low e argon glass package. depending on where you are in canada the u value to achieve energy star or the canadian equivalent is .27 look at the bulb seal on the bottom and the top of the windows, double hungs,the more weatherstriping the better usually. constant force balance system is the industry standard for double hungs, i would not buy one with spiral or block and tackle system. replacement windows are fairly easy for a do-it youself project, it generally takes a novice about 1 hour per window, depending on what you have for existing windows.price is highly variable but starting at $200 for the window and $125 labor or so per window is the average here, you will pay double or triple that going with a chain store, if you do not want to tackle it yourself i would recommend you find a reputable contractor in your area and go with them.insist on a quality caulk and insulation around the window jambs, cheap caulk will degrade and eventually leak. i always say, caulk is cheap,leaks are not.
    you can send me a pm if you want more information or tips
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
    i sell windows and doors,siding for a living. you want to look for virgin vinyl,sloped sill, what kind of spacer the glass has among other things. warranty should be lifetime on frame,parts and at least 20 years on the glass. i would suggest going with a low e argon glass package. depending on where you are in canada the u value to achieve energy star or the canadian equivalent is .27 look at the bulb seal on the bottom and the top of the windows, double hungs,the more weatherstriping the better usually. constant force balance system is the industry standard for double hungs, i would not buy one with spiral or block and tackle system. replacement windows are fairly easy for a do-it youself project, it generally takes a novice about 1 hour per window, depending on what you have for existing windows.price is highly variable but starting at $200 for the window and $125 labor or so per window is the average here, you will pay double or triple that going with a chain store, if you do not want to tackle it yourself i would recommend you find a reputable contractor in your area and go with them.insist on a quality caulk and insulation around the window jambs, cheap caulk will degrade and eventually leak. i always say, caulk is cheap,leaks are not.
    you can send me a pm if you want more information or tips
    Great info. Thanks Bowtie.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm a believer in Anderson Windows. Been around a long time and have the quality and service. You can get parts for very old Windows and new, I've had great success with their products. I don't expect them to go out of business like others have. Just like everything else you get what you pay for. You will notice the difference. And don't be fooled by replacement by Anderson. Great window huge scam.
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

I work as an estimator/design engineer for a large lumber company in Northern VT. we sell throughout Vermont, new Hampshire and north eastern NY. I am not sure what windows are available in your neck of the woods in Canada, however we sell a lot of Andersen windows. 85% of our sales are Andersen. they make a great window with a great warranty and stand behind them! Last summer I built a timber frame house and we used Andersen 200 series. We love them! each line comes with energy efficient options... they are predominantly a wood/clad window, however if available in your area, they offer their 100 series which is a all fibrex (think fiberglass... but stronger and without the variation in the fiberglass strands... consistent color) window. the 100 series is a very, very nice window if you are looking to get into something cheaper than a wood/clad window. just my .02 , but I don't know many folks who have Andersen windows who are not happy with them!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I used to sell and install replacement windows, but no longer do (got old, me not the business). I also own a duplex rental unit, in an upscale neighborhood. Last year, I had all the 1960's windows (whole duplex) replaced, had it all sided and a new roof put on. I did the windows to make the place easier to heat even though the tenants pay the heat. I did it because the new insulated windows (Renewal by Anderson) are a huge step up in quality from the old 60's insulated windows.
    I won't suggest who you get them from, get 3-4 prices, throw out the low one and make a choice from the others. The high price is not always the best unit, but most often the low price, especially if it is significantly lower is not a good buy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread