+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong winds

Default Strong winds

We got hammered yesterday.
    No power today, no estimate for restoration.
    Could be out a couple of days.
    Up on the generator today.

My wife was boiling when the power went out. All she could do was finish off what was in the head tank.
    I took the day off. Close to 200 gallons left to run.

We’ve got trees down on at least one main line out in the woods.

Our plan is to finish off what we have in the tanks, I’ve got to drain all of the RO lines and get the membranes up to the house (lots of cold coming and no power = no heat= frozen membranes and burst plumbing) and then deal with the downed main(s).
    Long day ahead.

How did everyone else fare?
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

I think I was pretty lucky. Of course I haven't been through the whole woods yet, but no huge disasters. The wind did snap one of the cables that secures my stack, but luckily it didn't blow the stack over.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Not boiling here yet in Sugar Camp WI. We lost some red pines to the wind not much else, that sure was some windstorm. Pine sawyers are killing all our red pines in this area so many are weak and punky in the stump area and a little wind takes them down. The whole area has power outages, the wind finally died down this morning. Now they are saying 20's daytime and below zero temps at night. Jay

white_spotted_pine_sawyer_hq.jpg
    Zucker Lager

Personally we fared well out of these insane winds. I have not been out through the woods yet I have some dead ash that were standing before this. I was going to wait to cut until after season. We have several other dead ash (thanks emerald ash borer) that are down. I do have buckets strewn about out there about to go deal with them.

However the area (Mid Michigan) has power outages, trees down, roads closed. Had a buddy lose what was a very healthy looking sugar maple in his yard next to his driveway. It simply snapped the trunk about half way up and where it began to crown and down half the tree went.

Be careful out there cleaning up everyone. Remember Think BEFORE you cut. I know most of us are used to saws and trees however things get dangerous in cleanups.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Thought my smoke stack was secure but not strong enough when one of the neighbors trampoline blew over and took guide wires with it. Made a mess out of smoke stack lost 8 feet of it when fell and smashed to ground. Have not been to woods yet but road side trees I lost bags.
    First year 2012 34 taps 4 steam pans on blocks
    2013 130 taps on homemade sap bag holders trying new fuel oil tank and 2 x 4 divided pan made 42 gallons of liquid gold
    2014 Bought English tin drop flue 3 by 10 pans each 5 ft long Made arch for them. 83 taps on gravity 138 taps on sap bags
    2015 268 taps on gravity short season oonly made 52 gallons
    2016 328 tap on shurflo sold sap to help pay for stainless pans

Lots of trees and branches down in the woods. No damage to lines. A bunch of taps were pulled out of trees. Some were bone dry. Are they done for the season? I put them back in. Bringing all of the pumps and buckets in to clean up. Hope for one more good run next week, Lord willing.

I'm one of the lucky ones. No damage yesterday to any of my saplines. Nothing more than a brief power bump here. After the Christmas outage two years ago, it's nice to get through a high wind event without a problem. Consumers has been doing a lot of trimming around here. There were road closures and isolated power outages in the area yesterday and I do have some new treefalls on both of my properties, but the maple season is still going strong.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Had a power line go down across the street which caused a fire that burnt approx. 1/2 an acre and caused a power outage for a day. Power is back now. I went out to collect sap during the worst part of the winds. Only a few dead ash trees were down and all the milk jugs were still hanging on the trees.

Still no power here. Might get it back tomorrow, maybe.

Got everything taken care of.
    Only one main line down with 3 popped laterals in the immediate vicinity.
    It was in a low area, swampy, 4” of standing, stinking water.
    One lateral pulled off the fitting at the main line wire and was laying in that water.

Glad it popped at the saddle end. Had it pulled off from the tree end the vacuum would have sucked that swamp dry.
    Can you imagine the mess that would have created?

There were only two taps on that lateral plugged in to silvers.
    I thought I’d replace that section of lateral from the last drop to the main, then thought better.

In the end I just capped that saddle off and pulled those two taps............. ‘cause, ewww.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

IMG_20170309_170351208.jpg
    Had this rather large Ash tree break off at ground level and fall over and get hung up in one of my good producing Maples. I carefully & quickly removed the bag holder and another one you can't see to a large Sugar Maple I hadn't tapped in a couple years. I had one eye on that Ash and was listening for any cracking sound just in case that tree decided to finish it's travel to the ground. Whew!!

Latitude:N 44° 50' 25.0463"
    Longitude:W 85° 38' 57.8906"

New for 2022 (My 10th year) a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter Press
    2016/2017 12' X 16' Sugar Shack 6/12 pitch roof W/ 3' X 4' Cupola.
    John Deere HPX 4X4 Gator (Pop's left it to me when he died)
    New for 2020 HB10 RO In A Bucket, a game changer.
    2015 Purchased 50 used Bag holders.
    2016 Purchased a home made evaporator and "everything" that went with it.
    20 acre Sugar Bush

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast