+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suprises in Buckets

I was wondering with the current weather if I might find sap in a bucket someday
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Hey Maniac, now THAT was funny! Ted

Default In the bucket? What about on the dog?

I have had the regulars in our buckets as well, but the ticks have been on my dog like never before. Every night we come in and I have to check her over good because three in a row there was a tick on her. She got a new dose of Front Line, hate it cause it makes her itch.

Reminds me of the joke about what the difference between is between a New York sugar maker and a Vermont sugar maker. When a New York sugar maker finds a squirrel in his bucket he looks around to make sure no one is watching and he tosses the squirrel and dumps the sap in his gathering tank. When a Vermont sugar maker finds a squirrel in a bucket he looks around to be sure no one is looking and puts the sap in his gathering tank and then squeezes all the sap out of the squirrel fur into the tank as well!
    Steward's Dairy Farm
    3x10 Leader Vortex Maxflue Revolution pans and steamaway
    Leader Extreme 2 RO

2000 vac
    45 gravity

A male bluebird, soaked but still alive, kept him overnight in a shoebox. In the morning he flew up in a pine tree and sang his heart out.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Brian, thanks for that great story. Glad he made it. We have bluebirds here like never before. Beautiful things.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by maple marc View Post
    Brian, thanks for that great story. Glad he made it. We have bluebirds here like never before. Beautiful things.
    Thanks, they are beautiful, and its the kind of beauty that leads me to ask "if I was creating a world would I think of bluebirds?" Or maple trees for that matter --- simply an amazing creation that we llive in......
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyacres View Post
    I have had the regulars in our buckets as well, but the ticks have been on my dog like never before. Every night we come in and I have to check her over good because three in a row there was a tick on her. She got a new dose of Front Line, hate it cause it makes her itch.
    Better the Front Line Itch than debilitating arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by stewardsdairy View Post
    Reminds me of the joke about what the difference between is between a New York sugar maker and a Vermont sugar maker. When a New York sugar maker finds a squirrel in his bucket he looks around to make sure no one is watching and he tosses the squirrel and dumps the sap in his gathering tank. When a Vermont sugar maker finds a squirrel in a bucket he looks around to be sure no one is looking and puts the sap in his gathering tank and then squeezes all the sap out of the squirrel fur into the tank as well!
    ......and then he eats the squirrel?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by stewardsdairy View Post
    Reminds me of the joke about what the difference between is between a New York sugar maker and a Vermont sugar maker.....
    Same joke, but a bit longer....

CT sugarmaker finds a squirrel in the bucket, dumps sap on ground, brings bucket home, washes it with Clorox before bringing it back to woods,
    MA sugarmaker finds a squirrel in the bucket, dumps sap on ground and rehangs bucket,
    NY sugarmaker finds a squirrel in the bucket, keeps sap and rehangs bucket,
    VT sugarmaker finds a squirrel in the bucket, wrings out squirrel into bucket, keeps sap and rehangs bucket,
    WV sugarmaker finds a squirrel in the bucket, cooks and eats squirrel, ferments sap to make whiskey.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast