Looks like one was WAY more popular....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Supposition General, you probably wouldn't make a good judge even blindfolded.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I have to say that the taste test was an eye opener. The results were a little different than I expected. There were two clear winners for the best flavor and I'm sure you agree on which two.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default Taste Testing

Thanks for swinging by Russ. Thought you might like the experience. BTW, he brought his son-in-law Richard with him and I had to stand on my Dr Pepper barrel just to get the blindfold on the dude. I'm going to be around all week if anyone else wants to take the test.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Richard got a chuckle out of that. It was nice to get away from the farm for a little bit. Did you get any sap today?
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default Uber Where Are You?

Okay had another big time sugarmaker taste taker swing by this morning. He was so stunned that after I got the blindfold off and loaded him back into his truck, I had to hit the home button on his Garmin! The pumps are still open.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Gvtl

Couldn't phone Ace's mom cause she don't have one and besides I've got dribbles sap to deal with. Fortunately, and for the edification of my very concerned new email friends from the Greater Vermont Turpitude League - thanks for the note, like the logo - M straightened everything out, well, kinda sorta. Says its fake news and not to fret, nobody has taken a bite of any apple cause ole Miss Evangeline's greenhouse is really loaded with orchards cause she's seen them herself, blooming in the middle of winter! Whatever. I know when to fold. But, my GVTL friends best button down their coronets anyways, cause the unsavory news is going to break on this dude Diamond Jared blowing his trumpet in the Royal Band. He oughta stick to a cornet but I guess they don't like the sound of it.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Tasting Notes

Perhaps the most reknown grading system for an agricultural crop is the Bordeaux Wine classifications established in 1855, and which remain a market force today. Since the French knew terroir and vintner skill played a huge role in the quality of a wine, they based the grading system on market prices. To be classified in an upper tier, a Chateau had to consistently sell its wine for more money than the lower tiers. Remarkably, only a handful of Chateaux have changed tiers since 1855, because the open market still supports the range of prices. And the top classification typically sells for more than $1000 a bottle.

Maple is no different, as my tasting revealed a broad and distinct range of maple flavor that any consumer could distinguish. My visitors tasted 5 different maple syrups from four different sugarhouses, run by four experienced sugarmakers, all within 25 miles of each other. There was a syrup from each of 4 color grades and a C sample. Different mixes of trees, different soils, different production techniques, resulted in stunningly distinct maple flavors. And, no correlation whatsoever to the international grading system. The consumers were fascinated with the distinctions.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Cleaning Up

Me and Ace have been pullng the taps and washing the tanks in the front yard. M came out for an inspection and announced she was ordering me a blue apron for my birthday. Well, sounds like just another frilly expense to me after the weather this bater trying season. Besides, I like the comfort of wearing old clothes and if the filter press plugs, putting them in the wash. Course, Ace is no help, probably wants to see me in an apron, and he says Miss Evangeline has a blue apron. Pretty sure he arched his eyebrows a twitch. Eh gads! So I ask our local Don Juan how he could possibly know that unless he already had kitchen privileges up to the Crystal Palace - and I put my brow half way up my forehead - I know how to play tennis - and he says, game faced as usual, he saw the FedEx guy deliver it. Cripes, for a guy living in his mom's basement, he sure is unflappable. Well M steps in and gives me a little peck on the cheek and says it's blue to match my eyes. Ain't she just sweet!
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123