+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurtin' Bad in CT

Default Hurtin' Bad in CT

Seems like the general consensus in CT, at least southern CT is that we're drying up down here.

Moving forward (like our season), I will be ready by Mid January. I was physically ready, but mentally I said it's too early. Guess I should have listened to a couple of wise sugar men early on.

Just 7 years ago, I was using Valentines day as my start date.

"Seasons change and so did I, You need not wonder why..."-The Guess Who
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I'm with you. feb 14 used to be a great target date. Mother Nature usually has the last say...

41.457 x -72.907 148 elevation
    2x4 wood fired evaporator with the "Hercules Blower"
    hybrid pan and backflip preheater by Smoky Lake
    103 taps. 44 on gravity
    All sugar Maples
    7" filter press
    10 x 12 sugar shack
    two very helpful kids
    a wife that thinks I'm nuts

https://youtu.be/7MiY8qzBKk8
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KCTCHESH7

Years ago sugar makers had a limited window of time that they could tap because the tap holes would start drying out but with modern taps and systems that window is much longer. Most larger producers start tapping in January and are collecting sap through March so I don't see why most producers that use the modern spouts and systems shouldn't be doing the same.

I was thinking the same thing of just tapping in January not because the goal posts have moved but why not? If I can still collect for 8 weeks and start in January, I might gain an extra run or two with the January thaw. I've always tapped around St Valentine's Day as well but then you run into years like this or last that make you think you should have tapped earlier and then you run into a 2007 or 2015 where you can't even tap until March because it's too cold.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I hear ya Valleyman. This year has been rough for myself but it was a big learning year, so not a total blow out. I keep telling my wife, "you can't put a price on the knowledge I or we both learned". Not only just learning my new equipment and finishing the smalls on the new sugar shack, but learning all about observing all the trees, frozen/thawed ground, bugs during high temps and so on. Next year we will be ready by the first week January to tap if the weather and temps are ready.

I think Sap is running today and tomorrow- last night I did not collect much, but it really only warmed a few hours since the freeze, and I collected earlier than normal.

I have to be optimistic on this year - but I also would have rather tapped a few weeks earlier. Last year I tapped mid January, was done mid March. I will plan to be ready earlier next year. Less worrying about bugs and spoil and budding.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter Seeds View Post
    I think Sap is running today and tomorrow- last night I did not collect much, but it really only warmed a few hours since the freeze, and I collected earlier than normal.

I have to be optimistic on this year - but I also would have rather tapped a few weeks earlier. Last year I tapped mid January, was done mid March. I will plan to be ready earlier next year. Less worrying about bugs and spoil and budding.
    It could be worse. We could be living in a part of the country where there are no sugar maples and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We'd have to be buying the sweet stuff!
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    It could be worse. We could be living in a part of the country where there are no sugar maples and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We'd have to be buying the sweet stuff!
    Xactly!! Play the hand that's dealt ya!
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    Well said right there. I have family that wants us to move to North Carolina. My reply......"No thank you. No sugar maples down there." At that point they realized how truely addicted I am to making syrup.

I'm in southern vt. and the last few days since the freeze have been pathetic. I just finished tapping just about 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't let what's happening now determine things.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

My worst year ever!!! 80 taps and only made 3 gallons of syrup I am wondering now much the drought is playing into it. Every day it's too warm or too cold.
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast