+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo Recirculating bypass

Default Shurflo Recirculating bypass

Could someone provide information on what they mean when they say they have a recirculating bypass to help with vacuum? Thanks from a newbie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You run a line from your puddle in the tank to the inlet of your pump to have a steady stream of sap and keep the diaphragm wet. It will produce a lot more vacuum. Usually you will put some kind of valve to restrict the flow as you don't need a full stream, just enough to keep it wet. I use a star fitting at the inlet of my pumps.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

For newbies a picture or ten is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks!!

So basically, I could just add in a line from the tank to the mainline just in front of the pump? And I should restrict that down to just a small amount?

Does the pump then run continuously?

That sounds right. And yes, the pump will run continually circulating the sap from the tank and really pulling harder on your main. I just use 5/16" for everything and as long as you don't have any leaks, you should get a steady pull in your lines. The idea is to turn down the recirc line to get more vacuum in the main. You will need to play with it and see.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

I think this is an interesting idea, there is a guy near me running the G2 Double Guzzlers on a 3/16 hybrid system. And he has a way that he primes the pumps to get them pulling harder, last time I was there he was pulling 26.5-27 Inches steady.I Was impressed, now I'm thinking about putting a Saddle just ahead of my pump with a 5/16 line and a small valve .Great Idea.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I started just using a 1/2" plastic valve to try to recirculate, there was no control over it really. Even having it cracked open as small as I could get it was still letting to much through. I then ran 1/4" tubing through a 1/4" brass needle valve, what a difference. I have really fine control with the needle valve, and even with it wide open, it still doesn't have a lot of sap recirculating, but enough to make it draw good.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by blurr95 View Post
    I started just using a 1/2" plastic valve to try to recirculate, there was no control over it really. Even having it cracked open as small as I could get it was still letting to much through. I then ran 1/4" tubing through a 1/4" brass needle valve, what a difference. I have really fine control with the needle valve, and even with it wide open, it still doesn't have a lot of sap recirculating, but enough to make it draw good.

Jason
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by blurr95 View Post

Jason
    What type of fitting do you get to fit that 1/4" line to your main?

I used a tee in my mainline before the pump then a stub piece of mainline, then used a barb to pipe thread fitting. I then used a pvc threaded shut off valve and bushed the other side of the valve to accept a 1/4" needle valve hitched to a piece of line that I put in the low end of the tank to suck sap out. I find that as the vacuum level rises, that I have to add more recirculating sap to keep the pump sucking sap or it will stop pumping against the high vacuum if it doesn't have a steady stream of sap running threw the pump. I get 21-22" of vacuum.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast