+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling my syrup

And fwiw, don't take my comments as directed at you, more as a general rant and word of caution.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

The PTA at my daughters school holds a craft fair each November. She thought it would be fun to get a table and try selling a little. We sell an 8oz bottle for $10 and a 1.7 nip jug for $3. We bring 25 of the 8oz bottles and 30 of the 1.7's and we sell out before noon every single year. I'm sure if we hit more craft fairs (and made more syrup) we could make a decent amount of cash.
    1st year - 6 taps and a turkey fryer and 1 gallon of syrup
    2nd year - 12 taps, turkey fryer and another gallon of syrup
    3rd year - 45 taps, new propane setup and 5 gallons of syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Atgreene View Post
    Don't sell for less than it costs you to produce.
    I can agree with not selling below market price, but when you add up all that it costs for a small scale operation to produce, there is really no way to break even for a very long time, at least not here in Michigan. You just have to hope that you will eventually get your money back on your investment in an FDA compliant sugar shack. I think a lot of small scale producers probably don't fully comply with that law, they sell product that was boiled outdoors and finished in their home kitchens or garages, but even then breaking even can be difficult because they don't have the economy of scale that large producers have. Cheap hobby labor is their only real advantage.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Atgreene View Post
    Not for nothing, but try to refrain from turning a hobby into something that drives down the price of a product for others. The number of people I see coming here learning to make syrup with no established market to sell to is eye opening. Personally, I think we're on the way to self ruin with too many producers and not enough consumers. The free market will settle itself out eventually, but in the meantime, longterm producers are apt to take a beating. We have a market, we'll survive, but many others are investing money into a "hobby" turned business that is quickly becoming saturated.
    Make a quality product.
    Promote a quality product.
    Don't sell for less than it costs you to produce.
    I certainly understand what you are saying and it makes very good sense.

I would ask this question to the big guys........."Did you start out big"? I would guess that over 75% started out small and grew from there based on demand. The hobbyists are not the only ones influencing the industry. Tractor supply sells buckets, bags, bag holders, hydrometers, "how to" books, thermometers, spiles ect.....

My local hardware store in town sells taps with drop tubing, and food grade 5 gallon buckets.

I look at it like this.......To be a carpenter you need a few basic tools and you can start building decks, sheds, and maybe small additions. To be a general contractor you need a crew, maybe a bobcat, or an excavator, trucks ladders, and other various things the small guy doesn't need. The big contractor is not going to do the small jobs the little one guy operation is doing and be competitive because the little guy has less of an investment.

I think the same can be said for small farms that grow fruit and veggies as well and have roadside stands.

I think the most important thing to any business is the quality you produce, and how you price yourself. I have owned a machine shop for 24 years. The worst place to be in any business is " to big to be small and to small to be big"

Just my opinion.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I am making maple candy to sell, but I don't know how much to sell at a time and with what price. I was thinking maybe a 1/2 pound box for $10.00???? That's just a rough guess. To make 21 2-inch pieces, it will cost me $2.24 due to syrup purchases. I wont be boiling my own syrup into the candy so I must pay for a $2.24 bottle. I am also in Maryland and there is no competition in my area with maple candy.

We're heading to our first farmers market this Saturday. 8oz bottles in glass with a nice, pretty labels are $10, 12oz are $15. (We will also be selling maple candy, maple fudge and maple pecans). There will be two other syrup vendors at this fairly small market but I hope to stand out with attractive packaging, a nice EZ-UP tent printed with our logo and two small blond-headed boys running the stand. We will also have a large picture of our sugar shack so people can see where the syrup is made.

We've also had a sign made up stating "Think Beyond the Pancake!" and will have a dozen stacks of recipe cards free for the taking using maple syrup in different recipes.

I think selling is about marketing. If you sell at a farmers market with a folding table out of generic plastic bottles, you're not selling anything that they can't get at the local grocery store (for probably cheaper).

Our new tent!

tent large.jpg
    Last edited by Woodsrover; 05-18-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

southfork Guest

Good luck Woodsrover, sounds very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by brennansmaple View Post
    I am making maple candy to sell, but I don't know how much to sell at a time and with what price. I was thinking maybe a 1/2 pound box for $10.00???? That's just a rough guess. To make 21 2-inch pieces, it will cost me $2.24 due to syrup purchases. I wont be boiling my own syrup into the candy so I must pay for a $2.24 bottle. I am also in Maryland and there is no competition in my area with maple candy.

Keep in mind if your selling "candy", you need to be collecting sales tax.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Keep in mind if your selling "candy", you need to be collecting sales tax.
    Not necessarily. Each should check their local tax laws.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Those selling 250 ML bottles for $5.00 make me wonder. Are they the rather cheap handle bottles or similar priced glass or are they the pricey bottles like the fancy elk, moose, deer, and such or the Leaf bottles? If the latter, you pay from about $2 to over $3 for the bottles, if the cheaper ones you pay about $1 each. Are you figuring how much you make on a gallon packed that way, what the glass costs and the time it took you to fill the bottle along with the price of the labels on each? Are you making anything on the sale or are you just moving product so you can make more next year?
    You should calculate what each costs you to pack and label and the time it took for getting the syrup ready to pack, the filtering and all other costs (yes your time has a cost regardless if you take a pay or just fill idle time)
    Are you working for less than $1/day, that's what the pay rate was 120 -130 years ago or so. If you are pricing your product that cheap you will be better off selling your syrup bulk by the pound even at today's low prices and going fishing.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast