+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering upgrading to tubing, but need advise

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    I think a vacuum gauge at the top of the line is almost a necessity with 3/16. I would suspect an air leak or plug as well.
    vac gauges need to be standard equipment when you install run of 3/16 IMO. it will help you identify problems and give you a place to start tracking them down. you can get a vac gauge for $4-10, is that really going to break the bank with all the other expenses of sugaring?
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Looking at adding a pump to my 3/16 lines, where would you recommend I go for vac gauges?

Thanks
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

Quote Originally Posted by Mille705 View Post
    We tap just over 300 taps mostly in a wood lot. We are currently tapping with metal buckets, sap sacks and some single tree tubing into 5 gallon buckets. Would like to look at some tubing but do not have any slope in the woods and worried that trees are not close enough to do this. We could tap more trees, but do not have enough equipment to do so. If we are going to invest in more equipment, should it be tubing? I live in Clinton county and wondered if anyone would show me there tubing setup and give me some ideas. Thanks.
    I have not used 3/16. I don't use vacuum. But I do successfully make approx .25 gallons of syrup per tap each year on short run tubing 5/16. These are short run tubing systems mostly on fairly flat ground. Developed the slope by elevating the lines from the low profile gathering containers to the last tree in the run. (approx 12 to 25 taps per line).
    It depends what you want to accomplish in your operation! My goal was to reduce my collection labor, and time. I went from servicing each of 400 buckets, to 35 gathering stations for the current 650 taps.
    I am not in a wood lot, so this system is not for everyone.
    I think I would be looking at maybe vacuum and sap ladders to bring it to one point for gathering.
    Just some ideas.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

My favorite syrup supply store (Pittman's in Arkansaw WI) has them for $6. Otherwise, I'm sure the internet has a good price them. The ones I bought were 1/4" male NPT, so I used a 1/4 npt to barbed adapter. You gotta heat the tubing to get it on the barbs, but it works. Only place I could find them in stock locally was Ace, so I paid $3.50 for each adapter, bringing my total cost for each gauge installation to $9.50.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

Great! Thanks for the ideas!
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    What are the bubbles doing? It seems more like you might have plugging at a tee from drill shavings or an air leak problem. I would expect a steady stream, assuming your trees are cooperating.
    As I think about it a plugged tee along the line is a reasonable theory. Even if I had a leak or 2 I would think that I would get something close to what bucket did in this stand for years. But a plugged line could explain the weak performance. To study bubbles more closely I need to get some daylight hours out in the stand when things run again (close to single digits the last 3 mornings in western MA!) Nobody has questioned the long 4% drop line yet so if that is not the issue then this setup may still have potential. thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by GV2 View Post
    As I think about it a plugged tee along the line is a reasonable theory. Even if I had a leak or 2 I would think that I would get something close to what bucket did in this stand for years. But a plugged line could explain the weak performance. To study bubbles more closely I need to get some daylight hours out in the stand when things run again (close to single digits the last 3 mornings in western MA!) Nobody has questioned the long 4% drop line yet so if that is not the issue then this setup may still have potential. thanks..
    i had a problem develop after 2 weeks. the line collapsed at a Tee. it was running slow at the tank and the top 3/4 of the line was chock full and couldn't drain. the trees were actually pushing it out around taps on the upper trees.

20170227_140414.jpg
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by GV2 View Post
    Nobody has questioned the long 4% drop line yet so if that is not the issue then this setup may still have potential. thanks..
    The long line does not matter. It only adds some small amount of friction which will translate to a small decrease in vacuum. Gravity is acting on every molecule of sap in the line and it is relentless. Same with the dip under the bridge. The sap is being pushed and/or pulled up that slope with only a slight increase in friction.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I have the setup you want to see near Lainsburg pm me and we can look it over 650 taps no slope to the woodlot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast