+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with all things maple

Default Need help with all things maple

Is there a place a person could go to see all the different equipment associated with producing syrup? Thinking about possibilities with our operation but feeling clueless with what is all available let alone how it all works. Would love to see it all in person even if it isn't in operation just to get a better understanding how everything works. From different style evaps, RO's, filter presses and whatever else you guys are using to keep a business going in syrup. Anyone in central Pa area open for a visit.

There's subforum called Tapping Pennsylvania - 2017 that might help you reach more PA people.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

At the end of the year (Sugar Season) there are often open houses at the major supplier/manufacturers. You can also develop a rapport with a sales person and have them come to your location to discussion options best suited for you. This helps them provide recommendations when you are thinking about an extra "widget" for your operation.

You can visit other operations too. Take pictures, many pictures. Sometimes you may not be looking for type of equipment or how it is used, rather in the end you may look for ideas on setup in the sugar house, RO room, kitchen, etc.

Then once you think you have everything figured out come back here with a long narrative with your thoughts and plans, revealing what you are comfortable with. I know I like seeing what others have done, are doing, or thinking about. It may save me money, time, and disappointment.

We are considering an expansion, likely the end of the next season. It would put us in the another league. It was an experience going from 18-25 gallons to 36 gallons to 64 gallons then 84, and last year to 104. The biggest adaptation for us is the final processing and bottling of the syrup due to the quantity. ALso cleaning the evaporator more often. Good luck in your search.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Are there any sugar makers near you? If so stop in for a visit. Most sugar makers are happy to show off their set up and to share information with other fellow sugar makers. It doesn't matter how big the operation is either. I have 700 taps myself and have visited and talked with producers that are doing it on turkey fryers as well as producers that have 80,000 taps. I have shown off my set up to many sugar makers on this forum. If you ever come to Loudon, NH I would be more than happy to show you around especially if you come when I can show you my woods too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

If you want to see it all in one location, make a trip to Swanton Vt at the end of April for the weekend that all is the major manufacturers have big open house at the same time.
    Last edited by BAP; 03-05-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread