+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap barrels (drums) eastern Michigan

Default Sap barrels (drums) eastern Michigan

I know a guy who knows a guy...

I can get used Greif 30 gallon open-head blow-molded drums that I believe can be made safe for sap collection with simple washing. These are HDPE and have the "2 in a triangle" recycle symbol embossed in them. I have been using them for sap and I have detected no reasons for not continuing to use them. They have lids and metal clamp rings to hold the lids on. http://www.greif.com/products--servi...arge-open-head

blow-molded-open-head.jpg

These drums were new until they were first used for shipment of new high purity powderized plastic (chlorinated polyolefin). The Material Safety Data Sheet for the contents indicates that it is non-toxic when ingested, but of course, you would want to wash the drums to your satisfaction before using them. My washing process starts with spray rinsing the inside with clean water to get the majority of the powder out. Then I lightly scrub the inside with a soft brush and two cups of white vinegar straight from the bottle. I also scrub the inside of the lid at this time and I make sure to clean well around the rim of the barrel. Then I rinse with water, and add 1/2 cup of baking soda while filling the barrel completely with water. I let that mixture soak for 24 hours. After a final rinse with water, I let them air dry for a day with the lid off. This revised washing process helps the empty barrels pass my wife's smell test and she is a fussy one. The syrup that I have made with them has no noticeable taste or odor from the container or its previous contents. Try one and if you aren't satisfied, use it as a trash barrel or try it again with one of these FDA approved liners http://www.thecarycompany.com/contai...?capacity=1440 that you can purchase separately. The drums are available while supplies last for $10 ea. Send me a PM for a copy of the MSDS and further details.
    Last edited by Cedar Eater; 03-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I wish these were available closer to us Yoopers, some of us could take a look at them.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    I wish these were available closer to us Yoopers, some of us could take a look at them.
    I can maybe get them as far north as Alpena if you know anyone who is passing through.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I have revised the washing procedure due to experimentation by my wife who wanted them to smell cleaner even though the syrup passed her smell and taste.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

I thought of this style barrel in the past. Guess it may be a really dumb question but.......when you put the lid on and clamp it down, is it water tight laying on its side? I think these would be VERY easy to clean, but my storage is set up to have the barrels on their sides.
    10 buckets,20 bags,steamer pan,cement block arch,4 tarp - sugar shack - Low budget 2010-2015
    35 bags, Leader Supreme 2x4, 1 stall garage shack - What budget? 2016-

It has a big spongy o-ring inside the lid, but I have never tried it.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    I can maybe get them as far north as Alpena if you know anyone who is passing through.
    I'll be tied up until after season...... If there is any of these left I would be interest in some/several. My mother-in-law lives in Oscoda so we could make a trip down...... PM me if there are any available then, thank you.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    I'll be tied up until after season...... If there is any of these left I would be interest in some/several. My mother-in-law lives in Oscoda so we could make a trip down...... PM me if there are any available then, thank you.
    There will almost certainly be some available. They aren't flying out of the barn faster than I can get them so far.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

Cedar eater.
    I would like to buy 3 or 5 i think i can fit 5 inside my minivan.
    You going to be around this saturday.
    Last edited by ronintank; 03-14-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

Quote Originally Posted by ronintank View Post
    You going to be around this saturday.
    Yep. Unless something serious prevents me.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

+ Reply to Thread