+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions about Thinning

Default 2 Questions about Thinning

Should I take out the small trees in clumps like in picture 1? And is it ok to clean the evergreens out all at once in picture 2? IMG_0940.jpg IMG_0939.jpg

The clump should really only have 1 stem left, but if you cut all but 1 the last one sometimes dies too. I might try removing all but 2 and have those not be next to each other,
    On the evergreens, that is a pretty dense stand, you may do best if you remove 1/3 every other year. That will give the remaining trees a chance to adapt to more sun and wind and be stronger than if all were removed at once. With that you are ikely to get lots of windthrow (broken out tops or totally uprooted trees because they were being protected by the evergreens and then they are not.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Also, trees in a stand like that have never had to endure much sun on their trunks and can get baked if you remove everything at once.

i had a clump like that last year that would produce double or triple per tap that other nearby trees would make, I never knew why, but it was like tapping the fountain of sap when i tapped it.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I have several red maples like that. I found leaving the larger ones and taking out the smaller ones to the right works. I had several I took a larger stem out and about 5 years later the remaining stem was clearly dying. With the evergreens maybe best to thin over a few years. I would create some roads and access with the first thinning. Weed out the ones crowding the maples you are planning to keep first. Just my opinion.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

I cut alot of small hemlock out that are only 20 foot high this winter. I wish I read this before... I have alot of different​ types of trees in my woods. This been logged every 15 years. And hard maple are starting to thrive in woods more than any other type of tree. My question is should I cute everything out but maples? Or so I do it slowly and start with the anything bigger than the smaller maple like 4" diameter? My sugar content is between 1.2 and 1.5 I would like to see 2.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I would not cut everything at once unless the maples are really close to each other for support. If you thin too much too fast and leave a bunch of small spindly trees, they are susceptible to blow down in high winds or bending over in heavy wet snow. The best way to see if you are thinning enough is to look up at the tree tops. You want to open it up enough so that the maple tops are not touching other tops and have room to expand into the open area. I usually like to have at least a 5-8' space between tree tops after thinning so that the tree is encouraged to reach out to the sunlight. Also, leaving some trees of other speacies and having some biodiversity is good as long as you aren't hampering your maples. The biggest thing that will help your sugar content is to keep the trees thinned enough so that they are constantly adding new branches in the crown for more light gathering.
    Last edited by BAP; 04-08-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Call your local extension office and make an appointment with a forester to walk your woods to get suggestions. They will take into account things such as prevailing winds, soil types, stem density, water table, time of year, when choosing trees to thin.
    Last edited by Daveg; 04-08-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I would not cut everything at once unless the maples are really close to each other for support. If you thin too much too fast and leave a bunch of small spindly trees, they are susceptible to blow down in high winds or bending over in heavy wet snow. The best way to see if you are thinning enough is to look up at the tree tops. You want to open it up enough so that the maple tops are not touching other tops and have room to expand into the open area. I usually like to have at least a 5-8' space between tree tops after thinning so that the tree is encouraged to reach out to the sunlight. Also, leaving some trees of other speacies and having some biodiversity is good as long as you aren't hampering your maples. The biggest thing that will help your sugar content is to keep the trees thinned enough so that they are constantly adding new branches in the crown for more light gathering.
    sugar maple saplings are very good at remaining unbent when released either by overstory removals or low thinning. other northern/appalachian hardwoods are more susceptible to bending and partial uprooting, so the release of those should be more conservative.

wally
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

Also, in Hancock County local residents have access to the resources and expertise of the University of Maine.
    University of Maine Cooperative Extension Hancock County Office
    63 Boggy Brook Road, Ellsworth, ME 04605-9540
    Phone: 207.667.8212 or
    800.287.1479 (in Maine)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast