+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow!!!

Default Wow!!!

Sap ran really well today. At the start of the day we still had the remains of last week's amber syrup in the evaporator so it went into a drum for bulk. By the end of the day we had improved to not only medium but light! I've never seen the colour come back to light once it had gone to amber - let alone in a single day!!! It's especially impressive since our taps have been in for over 4 weeks.

Mother Nature sure has a warped sense of humour. A month ago I would have bet that we'd have a terrible season given the messed up weather in December and January plus the fact that there was almost no frost in the ground and no more than a foot of snow when we tapped.

I hope everyone else who's still at it had the same experience.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Down here in Loudon NH I started out at dark amber then went down to B then some commercial. Now I'm at medium amber and hoping to stay that way until the end. This is the longest season I have had so far but no record breaker on syrup quantity yet. Looks like it should run good today. Probably some smaller runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Ran great down here too. First time this season I saw a some buckets
    running over!
    120 buckets, and 18x48 Dom.Grimm pan, 14X24 preheater pan ;10gph

Default lots of sap here as well

Hi

I collected 85 gallons at 2.5% last night and 65 on Monday. It is truly a crazy year. I have one tree that has gone cloudy and stopped running. there are also around 7 more that have shut down. I have 101 taps out and there were several overflowing the buckets...

up till Monday i only had 10 gallons (40 liters) of syrup. After this week i should be up to a normal year.

I will be up till midnight every night this week, but this is what we wait for all year.

Mark
    Homemade evaporator
    130 taps
    2 by 5 flat pan with divider.

Default Little run

Hi, I'm in the east of Québec. Here, we don't have the best weather for the season. Too much cold at the night, too cool in the day and the wind don't stop. I'have tapped 145 this spring and only 6 gallons of syrup. Hope we have many nice day of sun for the rest of the season. Bernard from Le Bic

HanginAround Guest

Welcome Bernard, good to see someone from QC on, I don't think there are many, if any at all. Are you from the Gaspe?

Looking like a very good season here in NB.

+ Reply to Thread