+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed plastic buckets

Default Disappointed plastic buckets

I have hung milk jugs, galvanized buckets, aluminum buckets and drop tubes to plastic bakery buckets. I attended one of Chris's tubing seminars but don't own the right property for tubing. The bakery bucket is nearly a free option but the biggest issue is any wind and the buckets take a ride. I decided to invest in some more hanging buckets as they look better than bakery buckets and I figured they would hold to the trees better than a bakery bucket on the ground. I decided to go with the plastic bucket/lid everyone sells made by Embee because galvanized is on its way out, aluminum is somewhat hard to find and the free bakery buckets can be problematic. At first I was thinking great these are easier to lug around the woods seeing they weigh substantially less. Unfortunately these plastic buckets are so light that the wind can lift them horizontal on the hook unlike a heavier metal bucket, once this happens it acts like a kite and pulls the tap clean out of the tree. Granted today was windy but out of 100 hanging plastic buckets I had about 50 take to the wind, with metal buckets I lost 2. Now I wont lie bakery buckets all 100 would have taken to the wind but those are free. The bakery buckets would atleast also leave the tap/drop tube in the tree so atleast it was a snap to set back up. With these after collecting the rogue buckets you need to circle the tree trying to locate a 5/16" tap hole and re install every tap. Also the plastic ones roll and roll for a long distance in the wind where the metal ones usually hang out next to the tree.

I've read options for tying them to the tree or leaving a water bottle in there.... one shouldn't have to make a brand new product work it should be engineered to work.... just my two cents. Next time I buy aluminum
    Last edited by handtapper; 03-02-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

When I used buckets I had same issue. I used the white plastic spiles. I took a heat gun and bent the hook a little more and it solved the problem. Made it a little harder to get a full bucket of sap off the hook without spilling a bit but I'd rather spill a bit then spend an afternoon searching for lost buckets.
    i also had some of the plastic buckets also. So I drilled a smaller hole in them for the hook, nice and tight.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I make a "bucket belt" to keep the buckets on trees in the windiest areas. Just take a piece of baling twine (or tie two together if tree is big) and tie on a section from an inner tube to make a bungee. Run the belt around the tree and the bucket. Works well for me.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I use drop tubes in 3 gal bakery and ice cream bucket which are light. The holes for the tubes are tight therefore the tube usually keeps the pail in place. In open areas with more wind exposure I use a water bottle in the pail to weigh it down.
    2018: 40 taps, 19.5l syrup
    2017: 80 taps, 20 liters syrup.
    2016: 40 taps, 38.5 liters maple syrup. Bonus 1 liter of Birch Syrup from 12 taps.
    2015: 1st time! 13 taps, 175l sap, 8.2l syrup

Boiling on arch made from old wood furnace with 4 steam table pans

I battled with tubing and buckets for years. Then I started using reclosable 2 gal 6 mil poly bags I get from uline.com . I stick a piece of duct tape on the back then stick a tubing tap through from the inside. The bag hangs on the tree and holds strong even with two gallons in it. I leave a couple inches on the corner unsealed Then I simply put my collection bucket under and tip the bag out . I run about 1000 bags this way and ill never go back. They are so clean and bacteria free compared to drop tube into buckets. Cost about .60$ a bag. I don't reuse them much so I recycle them after the season. Might seem wasteful but the time and energy i save not washing buckets and lids is huge.just thought I'd throw that out there.

How is your property not right for tubing? Since 3/16" tubing came on the market, it has been a game changer. I never expected it to be as versatile as I've found it to be. So please be specific about what makes your property ineligible.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I have quite a few 5 gallon buckets in very windy area. I put 2 or 3 bricks on top . They stay in place quite well.

Done all of them above. The best one that worked for me was putting 2 water bottles in the bottom. Tie string line/rope around the tree and find a stick and make a tourniquit (I butchered that word). Now I use drop tubes to the ground, 2 water bottles, and string line thru the handles to keep them there. Haven't lost a bucket yet with only a few times have they been blown over.

Hope that helps,

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
    I battled with tubing and buckets for years. Then I started using reclosable 2 gal 6 mil poly bags I get from uline.com . I stick a piece of duct tape on the back then stick a tubing tap through from the inside. The bag hangs on the tree and holds strong even with two gallons in it. I leave a couple inches on the corner unsealed Then I simply put my collection bucket under and tip the bag out . I run about 1000 bags this way and ill never go back. They are so clean and bacteria free compared to drop tube into buckets. Cost about .60$ a bag. I don't reuse them much so I recycle them after the season. Might seem wasteful but the time and energy i save not washing buckets and lids is huge.just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Jake,
    holy cow 1000 2 gal bags! your for sure the bag man!
    you doing birch syrup?
    regards,
    chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We all agree metal buckets hold to the tree. The plastic bucket go for rides unless you macgyver something up. This is understandable for the free bakery buckets but most dissapointing for the purchased "engineered" (I use this term lightly its only a bucket)

I appreciate all of your ideas about weighting the buckets down. Again makes sense for a bakery bucket but my complaint is really about the Embee hanging buckets. Even with the bakery buckets its a hassle to carry out 600 bricks or find 600 rocks or make 600 slings etc, washing 600 water bottles holy smokes!

Jake I like your bag idea could you post a picture of the bag hanging on the tap?

Bricklayer got me thinking more about the bakery buckets and fitment of the drop tube. I have been somewhat sloppy with these drilling the holes, some are snug some are not. The snug ones seem to hold to the trees better. I have never seen a bakery bucket yank a spile out of a tree. Either the bucket goes for a ride leaving the tube/tap or the drop tube tension prevented the bucket from taking off and the bucket was on its side next to the tree. I'm going to be more cautious and try to use a slightly undersized bit (not sure sitting in front of the computer what the 3/16" tubing OD is) once ive forced the drop tube through the undersized hole I am going to put a old plastic spile on the bottom of the drop tube INSIDE the bucket. Problem solved. I dont mind the bucket being on its side next to the tree losing sap as long as I can easily correct it and dont have to walk 1/2 a mile chasing buckets down.

On the embree bucket I'm going to design a better bucket and put Embee out of business. I like the intution Bricklayer about bending the hook but seems concerning about unhooking buckets that area already tough to unhook when full. In reality if i cant find a practical/easy way to make these work I will probably just sell of these plastic embee buckets next year on craigslist and call it a loss/lesson learned.

Cedareater my property is not right for tubing because the trees are spread out on a old farm property.There are some on the north side of the house, some on the south, some way behind the barn, some on the road, some on the neighbors properties. No power for vac at some of the neighbors. I could physically do tubing, with vac if I wanted to take it down every year, I cant leave the tubing up. It would also be many different zones with different mainlines because the trees are just to spread out in clumps over a few acres of cleared worked land. I could possibly rig up a few short runs to 55gallon drums on about 10 % of the taps.
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast