+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mt Washington Valley Sap Report 2017

About another 450 gallons today, it was 23° this morning, looks like a freeze tonight, about out of wood, going to boil what I can and call it a season. Broke my sap hydrometer so not sure about the sugar content, but I know it's not great.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2018 1000 taps?
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    Franken evaporator, lapierre arch, smokylake pans and a leader hood with pre-heater.
    A wife and 2 kids.

Got another good sap flow today, but it's just running on the ground, sugar content is around 1% or less and I'm not really into burning a chord of wood for 6-7 gallons of syrup. Made 2 gallons of Very Dark last night that had great flavor. Probably 6-7 gallons of syrup in the evaporator, that should get me to 95 gallons of syrup.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2018 1000 taps?
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    Franken evaporator, lapierre arch, smokylake pans and a leader hood with pre-heater.
    A wife and 2 kids.

definitely made some dark syrup with that sap. flavor was great though!

Started pulling taps tonight, got 255 done in 2 hrs, hopefully finish up tomorrow night.probably boil out the evaporator Wednesday night , pulling the taps with the vac on is great virtually no sap remaining in tubing. Almost no snow left in the woods, I swear some of my taps were at 8' plus, now I know why the sell those really long tap pullers at Goodrichs.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2018 1000 taps?
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

All my Taps are pulled finished up last night, counted 450 taps total, that's 100 less than I thought I had , that's fine with me, makes me feel better about my syrup total, although it was still not great. Lots and lots of Deer tracks in the sugar woods. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2018 1000 taps?
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345