+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped in coos

Default Tapped in coos

Finally got tapped in last week , had some days that I thought it would run good but it was slow. Yesterday it hit 50 and only a light flow. More than a foot of snow and ground is frozen. I missed what I thought would have been good flow in February. I always do best from saint paddys day on so still might get better. I hope I didn't miss the best flows in February. After this upcoming snow the temps look great keeping my fingers crossed but its been a weird winter. Good luck all.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

The weirdness continues, after a few days of meager flows on seaming perfect days and thinking the season is over before it really began for me, I took the morning off to run to town . Its 29 degrees and snowing. Got back a 1pm and on the drive I noticed the temp had climbed to 33. After unloading my truck I saw that it was 36 degrees in the shade. Went to check my sugar house and the sap was running thru my guzzler pump, turned the pump on and its been running the best it has, and vacuum was up as well. I'm shacking my head.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Low pressure systems can do funny things. We are at 34-35 degrees here and I just turned the pumps on. It is running pretty good right now. I don't know the science behind it, but low pressure systems will increase the vacuum some. We've seen it before. I am sure someone on here could explain it.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Seems to have turned into a pretty normal season here on Cabot Mt. Still lots of snow, tree wells opening up in the sunny spots. This week forecast looks great. Sap running great today, and clear at 2.1 %, which is average for my trees. This is the week that usually shuts me down, let see how it goes.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Well looking at the forecast for next week I made the call to pull the taps while I can walk on the snow with out snow shoes. Season turned out pretty normal for me. The woods are full of snow, to my knees in most of it. It looks as if it should be great for a while but my tap holes looked ready to quit. First year in a while that I didn't have to deal with mud. Chased out what was left in my syrup pan with permeate. Tried something different this year adding a hand full of cloves and a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon to the last batch, it tastes fantastic. Just a bit of clean up left to do and on to the next thing.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Well I got all done putting new drops on and tapped in by 3/5, I missed a lot of early flow this year but historically the last 2-3 weeks of March have been best for me here on Cabot Mt. The trees are doing good with just a bit of swell to the buds. With any luck I'll get another 2 weeks, sap is still nice and clear holding a 2.1% Hope every one has a great season.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Sap still coming in good and is nice and clear, no change to the buds . Forecast looks great might get another week. Hope my wood holds,got about half cord left.

Good luck everyone
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Sap was very slow today and getting cloudy , at about 1.5%. Just starting to snow here now and is in the forecast for the next 3 days . I've got a tank of cons I'll boil tomorrow, see what happens, might have another run or 2 but I think I hear the fat lady singing in the distance. Season has been pretty much average for me. Good luck to anyone still at it.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

+ Reply to Thread