+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freshly tapped tree vs 2 week old tapped tree

A fresh taphole that did not go through the heat of 1-2 weeks ago will likely run better the whole season. You only have about 2 weeks from the time you tap and you will start seeing random tapholes just quit running. If you can use a new spout of some sort, that helps tremendously, even on open bucket taps.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    A fresh taphole that did not go through the heat of 1-2 weeks ago will likely run better the whole season. You only have about 2 weeks from the time you tap and you will start seeing random tapholes just quit running. If you can use a new spout of some sort, that helps tremendously, even on open bucket taps.
    I tapped my tress 2 weeks ago, I'd say 80% of those trees will support multiple taps. I only put a single tap into those trees knowing that it was really early but I wanted in on the early run. With that said, can I tap an additional hole on the trees that can support it? I do believe I can in my opinion but would like to hear others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by flyzone13 View Post
    I tapped my tress 2 weeks ago, I'd say 80% of those trees will support multiple taps. I only put a single tap into those trees knowing that it was really early but I wanted in on the early run. With that said, can I tap an additional hole on the trees that can support it? I do believe I can in my opinion but would like to hear others opinions.
    This is also what I was thinking. Most of the trees I tapped I only put a single tap into although they could have had two. This is my first year tapping the trees so I figured I would spread out the taps and see what trees produced the best. I was thinking of just taping a second tap into the the trees that can handle two taps. Good idea or bad???

i agree with the others. a new taphole will run more initially than an earlier tap. even if conditions are not favorable for a run, it will run when first drilled. i dont have scientific proof but just time in the woods. once you taste that first bit of your own syrup that you produced, you will be hooked. its a great time. enjoy.

on a side note, this forum is an encyclopedia of information. scientific and real world experience. the people who visit these forums are supportive and positive. no bologna!
    Last edited by harrison6jd; 03-03-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Default Aging taps

Think of your tap hole as a wound in the tree. As soon as you tap the tree starts to heal. As it heals it bleeds less. Depending on the weather the healing process takes 2-4 weeks. I'm in Ohio and this year we had a week of 60 degree weather a week after I tapped. When it got cold again - sap ran - taps that were giving a full bucket had maybe an inch in them. A new tap gave a full bucket. Made for a short season.

30+ years with a 30 in by 7 ft flat pan and a 2 ft by 3 ft finishing pan. I can boil 25+ gal an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by old fashioned View Post
    Think of your tap hole as a wound in the tree. As soon as you tap the tree starts to heal. As it heals it bleeds less. Depending on the weather the healing process takes 2-4 weeks. I'm in Ohio and this year we had a week of 60 degree weather a week after I tapped. When it got cold again - sap ran - taps that were giving a full bucket had maybe an inch in them. A new tap gave a full bucket. Made for a short season.

30+ years with a 30 in by 7 ft flat pan and a 2 ft by 3 ft finishing pan. I can boil 25+ gal an hour.
    Yup that's kinda what I thought that the tree was healing hence the lack of sap. I think I could yeald the best from my trees by tapping one tap per tree then go back around 2-3 weeks later and add the second.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12