+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar shack floor

Default Sugar shack floor

My wife told me this is the last year we boil outside! I have been thinking about building a sugar shack since last year anyway and have actually had some logs from our woodlot milled with that in mind. My question though concerns the floor. We live on the side of a mountain which makes it great for gravity feeding sap but is lousy for most everything else, but especially for building.

My plan calls for a 14' x 16' building with a 4' porch on the front which the roof line from the shack will continue over. I could easily build it on sonotubes with a wood deck floor but seeing how much ash/coals come out of the arch now I'm concerned about fire and being able to clean it. A cement floor means a ton more work and money. I'll need to dig into the hillside, put in footings, concrete blocks, drainage etc.

What are your thoughts or solutions you've found for your sugar shack floors?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Concrete has its advantages. That would be my first choice. Disadvantage is it has to be put in right or it may heaveI have seen one wood floor sugarhouse with the 4 x 8 sheets of aluminum antiskid plate put down for protection.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I am also considering a new floor. While my shack sits on a concrete foundation, my current floor is crushed stone, which I would not recommend.

I'm leaning toward pouring a concrete floor. I know it will cost more, but for me I think it's the best choice. In your case though a wood framed floor would work fine. There are plenty of ways to protect the wood structure, and would in fact be required by the building code. For example, a wood stove installation in a wood frame residence has to have specified clearances to combustible surfaces, and sit on a non-combustible surface.

Whether wood or concrete, a solid, level, easy to clean floor is a must.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

They make fire retardant plywood that you could lay down......

https://www.chicagoflameproof.com/fi...rdant-plywood/
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I would have preferred to lay concrete down but had slope and cost issues. I did advantech plywood floor. Under the arch/firebox I put 3x5 durarock, 2500 degree fabric (5 layers) and 2" pavers. The durarock extends 3' out in front of the fire door to catch embers that may pop out. I have heard alot of people doing less on a wood floor with no issues.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by bstewar View Post
    I would have preferred to lay concrete down but had slope and cost issues. I did advantech plywood floor. Under the arch/firebox I put 3x5 durarock, 2500 degree fabric (5 layers) and 2" pavers. The durarock extends 3' out in front of the fire door to catch embers that may pop out. I have heard alot of people doing less on a wood floor with no issues.
    Do you have any photos you can share? Thanks!
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Sure. I can grab some more pics if you want. [/ATTACH]FullSizeRender.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bstewar; 03-01-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Better pic
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

When i used to boil on a deck I would put down 2 layers of durock like what goes under tile and the fire brick on top of that . This may work if you had to build a deck floor
    2010-1st year,30 taps on buckets ,concrete block and 4 stainless pans

I am getting costs right now on building either a 12 x 16 or 14 x 18 shack this summer and the costs for concrete are through the roof. I can do a wood foundation using all treated material with 2 x 8 floor joists for about $1000 less than concrete. On a $4000-4500 budget job thats a 20-25% premium for a concrete floor in a building I am going to use 4 to 6 weeks a year. My 2 x 5 Mason arch has a seperate ash cleanout pan that sits about 10" off the ground so heat is not a factor just ashes that fall so I think a sheet of Durarock under that area of the arch would be sufficent. Thoughts?

1/2" Cement Board, made a frame around the perimeter of the cement board and filled in with red brick I had laying around. We then swept fine sand into the voids to solidify, and tie it all together. Last night for kicks i checked the temp of the bricks during a hard boil with the blower cranking and it was 79 degrees
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast