+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feb 28 and I am done, I think

Default Feb 28 and I am done, I think

Well I thought it would be my BIG year. Updated the small setup by building a small RO system that would pull 100 GDP, increased from 19 taps to 28 (all on hard maples), and went with a cone filter instead of the old cheesecloth and settle method for filtering. Had great plans, except well you know. That J-O-B uses up a lot of my boiling time. I have been able to finish 4 gallons during the runs 2 weeks ago and boil in the evenings by RO ing the night before (One night I pulled the sap up to 6%). Got home today to a cloudy 4+ % barrel and soft buds. 4 years ago I boiled and finished a sour 2 gallons, I learned that day. I guess I'm done. This hurts my heart a little. I hope all of you continue to fortunate enough to have cold nights, warm days, and tight buds.

Cloudy isn't always bad, far from it. If it smells like dough, you're on trouble, but otherwise, cook a small sample at least. Even real dark syrup makes great baked beans. Soft buds too aren't so bad. If they're are on hard maples and aren't open yet, don't give up!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I think you might be jumping the gun. Cold weather is coming back tomorrow up here. Really cold nights. How the buds look is kinda meaningless. Clear sap can be buddy. Cloudy sap can be not buddy. How the syrup tastes is what you have to test in order to know when it's over.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Well thanks for encouragement, the trees along the yard/road are definitely further along than those in the wood. I think I'm going to keep trying and hoping for a run these next couple. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JYb.shopteacher View Post
    Well thanks for encouragement, the trees along the yard/road are definitely further along than those in the wood. I think I'm going to keep trying and hoping for a run these next couple. Thanks again
    It got down to .8*F here last night. It's like the 4 gallons of syrup that I've already made are bonus syrup and the season is really just about to begin. I suspect that I will have to reseat some of the spiles when the temps warm back up tomorrow or Monday. Good luck in your neck of the mitten state.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I'm glad I stepped away from the edge and waited. Took the day off and boiled near 100 gallons on my 28 taps during the 2 day run. Sugar was pretty low, finishing near 2 gallons. It was still enjoyable, windy, and real dark. I'm pleased

Mother nature working her magic with ice.
    Boiling down all there still remains from the last run the other day.
    Looks like one more shot here in Mid Michigan. Then I think it will be time to call it a year.
    Not sure we will get much more weather wise after this next end of week possibility temp wise.

Only time will tell though, If its sweet and I can keep up with the flows I will keep at it. Sure has been a different year that is for sure.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

+ Reply to Thread