+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lucky man I am.

Default Lucky man I am.

I have been really sick. To the ER twice in past week with this weird virus thing going around.

Anyhow I need to make it official that I am one lucky man. My body gave out and I collapsed more or less after about 1/3 of the line doing collection. My wife helped me into the house, get me sitting down went out put the fire out so the sap could be poured off we were boiling. Then completed the rest of the collection.

I am sitting here now hacking for no flipping reason. If this does not end soon my season may be over because it will be end the season or risk ending myself by the looks of it.

No need for anyone to feel bad. I am just old stubborn and a **** fool. I did it to myself and should know better.

By the way we did 45 gallons today in Sanford on the 70 trees we have tapped.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Reading this while sitting here enjoying care package the awesome new bf just dropped off after a weird bout with food poisoning/possible flu. He came here straight from getting home after work, stopping off only to get care package goodies. Sounds like we're both very lucky! Hope you get over virus soon Snappy. Take good care of your missus when you can, and I'll take good care of my man.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Best of wishes to both of you hope you are feeling better soon

Hope you start feeling better Snappy! Its to bad you came down with this in the middle of the sappen season. You did get a little syrup. On the bright side, warm weather fishing is coming up.
    Billy
    43-57'01'' N
    All Red Maples

2015 20 taps on Buckets 130 gallons of sap with about 3 gallons of finished syrup
    2016 30 taps on Buckets 223 gallons sap 4 1/2 gallons finished syrup
    2017 60 taps on Sap Saks

Never a good time for that kind of illness. Sounds like your season will still be decent. Best wishes to ya!
    42.54°N 85.86°W

Fourth season sugaring...........

2014- 3 taps, a couple quarts of finished syrup
    2015- 12 taps, 2 1/2 gallons syrup
    2016 - Put out 24 maple taps, and 3 walnut taps. Collected 240 gallons of sap, and bottled up about 6.5 gallons of maple syrup. About 12oz of walnut syrup.
    2017 - About 4 gallons of the most amazing syrup I've ever had!

thanks everyone. Its been a good season.

Anyhow turns out went back to doctor. I have evidently had strep throat for no idea how long. Due to being weakened immune system over that it turns out I did get the flu on top of it. So double whammy.

Wife kept collecting what she could. We had some serious rain other night and with me being sick the buckets were not emptied daily. So we had some water runoff in about sixty gallons we just dumped. The way our property sits I dump it due to the possible contamination. Between the neighbors with lousy repaired vehicles spewing exhaust non stop and the county spraying mosquitoes all year those are two things i would rather not risk concentrating in my syrup by boiling down.

Anyhow we are still approaching the 400 gallon mark. With me being down for nearly a week and still no where near full capacity it will be slower than last couple but still a good year. One good thing about the freeze its helping keep the sap. The second good thing is my boiling over wood this year has significantly increased boil rate to the point I can go several days between provided sap holds up.

Its not over looks like at least another week of off and on again temps for us here. More sugar for me to nibble on all year. Syrup to cook with and put over ice cream. Not even bothering to try selling anymore unless someone comes and asks us.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

+ Reply to Thread