+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grand Rapids

I called sugar bush, they did not have one only a 20 by 36. I made one last attempt to Smokey lake. They are packaging my new pan and other bell and whistles now. Hopefully it will be by Monday. Since it just over lake Michigan maybe earlier. I put my old English tin warped pan on and will fill it with water to take up space. I will boil down in back pan till front pan arrives. I can not believe 500 gallons is enough to sweeten pan I think it is more like 1200 gallons to sweeten a 3 x 10
    First year 2012 34 taps 4 steam pans on blocks
    2013 130 taps on homemade sap bag holders trying new fuel oil tank and 2 x 4 divided pan made 42 gallons of liquid gold
    2014 Bought English tin drop flue 3 by 10 pans each 5 ft long Made arch for them. 83 taps on gravity 138 taps on sap bags
    2015 268 taps on gravity short season oonly made 52 gallons
    2016 328 tap on shurflo sold sap to help pay for stainless pans

I've given up trying to figure out when my tress will run and when they won't. On a sunny 45 degree day after a modest freeze I get a scarce haul and then after a couple of days of high temps and no where near freezing, I get a bigger haul than I ever had before and then over night they fill up again... and they are still dripping. I'll take it... I just don't get it.
    20 years into this - Started with 8 paint cans and a borrowed turkey fryer
    100 taps / old school buckets / cinder block arch fired with natural gas / pair of 2x3 pans

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123