+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Syrup Prices/retail/wholesale?

Default Syrup Prices/retail/wholesale?

I struggle with this every year - trying to get the price ratios between the smaller and larger bottles right.

Last year I think my retail prices were:

8 oz glass - $5
    12 oz glass - $8
    Quart in plastic - $12

They may have been 4, 6 and 12, can't remember.

I'd like to increase my quarts - what does everybody else retail for?

Also, what are the NY regs for selling retail - grade, name, address?

Anybody know who buys wholesale in central new york?
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

We've been selling our quarts for $14 and pints for $8- both in plastic Cruchon jugs.

I think the NH average is 13.25 for a quart
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

I sure wish I could get 14 dollars a quart here in northern ny. We sell our quarts for 8.50, 16 half gal, and 30 gal. and I'd say that is close to average here. Yet we get some people that complain about the prices. People seem to syrup producers are getting rich quick! Some people don't seem to understand the work involved or the price of syrup equipment.
    Leader 3x10 drop flue oil fired
    steamaway
    1,000 buckets/2500-3500 on vacuum for 2010
    Springtech 1000gph RO
    AC 180 diesel
    AC 185 diesel
    AC 5015 4wd

Here in central NY I get $4.50/1/2 pt, $7/pt, $13/qt, $22/1/2gal and $38/gal, and glass is similar price for syrup plus cost of the glass. I only pack gal on request. I can't remember the last time anyone said the price was too high if ever. They have however said things like "It has gone up, I used to buy it for ___" at which I say "How much was gas back then?" They then buy it without any trying to talk me down.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Larry Guest

Default To Make a Gallon........

Here's a good poem which outlines just a few of the steps involved in making a gallon of maple syrup. I have copies in my sugarhouse and when folks grumble about the cost they get the poem for free. It generally works.

Larry

THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE GALLON OF
    MAPLE SYRUP

It takes four maple trees, at least 40 years old, growing in the mountain “sugarbush” to yield enough sap in six weeks to produce one gallon of maple syrup.

It takes a “gathering crew” to climb the mountains daily during March and April to collect the dripping sap and haul it down to the “sugarhouse.”

It takes forty gallons of sap, boiled down in the “evaporator” to concentrate the sweet sap-water into one gallon of syrup.

It takes a four foot log, sawed, split, dried and burned in the raging fire in the “arch” under the evaporator for each gallon of syrup produced.

It takes the whole sugarmaker’s family to continually fire the arch, operate the evaporator and sterilize, filter, grade and pack each gallon of syrup.

SO - if you had to climb the mountain, tap the trees, haul the sap, cut the wood, stoke the fires and pack the syrup, how much would you ask for a gallon of Pure Maple Syrup?

For the regulations go to the nys ag and markets site and you'll find it there. In the Carskills/ central ny, T. Kaufman buys bulk and so do the Hills.

$5.50/.5 pint, $9.00 / pint packed in mason jars, with a nice label and a piece of cloth tied on top with jute.

I dont sell any thing packed larger.

I have said It before and I will continue to repeat it. If you are not getting at least $42.00 a gallon for for syrup you are not charging enough. $8pt $12qt $22half $42gal. Sugarmakers need to keep prices uniform across the maple producing regions. And I dont Mean on the low end either. It takes hard work and a sizable investment to produce a quality product! Don't Be afraid to charge what your product is worth! I saw 12oz of dark amber at wally world yesterday in Cumberland Md. It was Packed by a Large producer. It was darker thank any gradeB I have ever packed and they where asking 4.32 for it.

Dave, they are selling it as dark amber though. Wally worls has the same syrup at every store.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Mark ,
    It was marked dark amber. It is the same producer that supplies Cracker Barrel resteruants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast