+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Normal Tapping

I've been busy running 2,000' main line back to my evaporator, and fabbing up my new pans. I'll be tapping this week, doesn't sound like I missed much. Looked at my starting dates for when sap usually starts to run in my woods and it seems between the 12-19. Hopefully have everything ready by sunday.
    3x8 drop flue
    300 taps on 3/16

Quote Originally Posted by doop View Post
    I've been busy running 2,000' main line back to my evaporator, and fabbing up my new pans. I'll be tapping this week, doesn't sound like I missed much. Looked at my starting dates for when sap usually starts to run in my woods and it seems between the 12-19. Hopefully have everything ready by sunday.
    My brother and his buddy tap in the Cromwell area just west of you and he has a few test taps out and you are right your not missing anything. He was going to tap this weekend.

I tapped 160 on the 28th. On the 5th and 6th I pulled in about 180 gallons - there was a fair amount more, but I left some in the bags after collecting on Monday due to the forecast winds - Good thing I did, only a few were on the ground yesterday.

Shut down the evap Monday night, and finished the concentrate yesterday. 4.25 gallons of lovely light amber. Cold was welcome, trees were slowing down a bit after several days above freezing.

No cooking sap this weekend everything in storage is frozen solid. Hopefully things will be ready to roll the following weekend.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

There's a slow drip started after these last cold days. Looks like the next week will be a good one. If it is it will be a worthwhile season regardless of what the weather does after that.

Started to run a little yesterday, still have a 100 or so taps to run and some minor adjustments toy new main line. Waiting on the welder to finish up on my new pan as well.
    3x8 drop flue
    300 taps on 3/16

Still waiting for the first boil. I did get the apple trees pruned this morning. It looks like there should be a good run the next few days.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I put the last of my taps in this weekend and the forest has just started to drip now. I had 40gal from my yard trees to process and got 1.25 gallons of syrup but it was really dark which is dissipointing as my first batch was a great amber color.
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets 260gal sap 6gal syrup
    2018 - 92 taps on bags

All boiled on a homemade 2x5 fuel oil evaporator using 6 steam pans

3/20/17 collected and cooked 142
    3/22/17 collected and cooked 80
    3/23/17 collected and cooked 115

99 taps
    70 on 3/16
    29 on buckets

We are done for the season. Collected 100 gallons yesterday, should be done with cooking and bottling in another couple of hours. 31 gallons of syrup from 1550 gallons of sap, about 325 taps on Soft Maple trees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast