+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Normal Tapping

We collected about 50 gallons on 100 taps last nite. The ground in the woods is still froze right below leaves. Hoping we will be good for a few more days. Only have about 8 gallons of really nice syrup so far. On the south end of Mille Lacs lake.
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyhowe View Post
    Buds popped on my today. I hung it up and called it a season. Ended up with 5.25 gallons on 18 taps. Was a awesome season but things were smelling a little buddy today so I called it quits.
    Wow, 5.25 gallons on 18 taps. That's unbelievable for the year that we are having. Congrats.

IMG_6155.jpgIMG_6155.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    Wow, 5.25 gallons on 18 taps. That's unbelievable for the year that we are having. Congrats.
    I tapped in February when the early warm up came. I had a very long season. Best I've had so far. Only my 3rd year doing it but I'm addicted! I got access to tap my neighbors 10 acres so looking to break my 5.25 gallon record next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnep's View Post
    We collected about 50 gallons on 100 taps last nite. The ground in the woods is still froze right below leaves. Hoping we will be good for a few more days. Only have about 8 gallons of really nice syrup so far. On the south end of Mille Lacs lake.
    When my father-in-law was alive he would always say he wished he lived by Mille Lacs lake because the trees were really sweet like 25 to 1, are you in that area? He lived NW of Barnum and it was 45 to 1. I'd be happy with that because our trees NE of Brownsdale are 50 to 1.

Things are finally running good. 200 gallons in the last 36 hours. We're going until the sap stops!
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

We are going to keep pushing too. It been a weird season, but we've been able to keep up so far. Sugars here have not even come close to budding (ottertail county) and no frogs peeping yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    When my father-in-law was alive he would always say he wished he lived by Mille Lacs lake because the trees were really sweet like 25 to 1, are you in that area? He lived NW of Barnum and it was 45 to 1. I'd be happy with that because our trees NE of Brownsdale are 50 to 1.
    I'm seven miles south of Mille Lacs and I'm at about 30 to 1, would love to get at that 25 to 1 ratio though
    Custom built downsized Small Bros. arch and leader pan
    Carrying on the wifes family tradition with the help of my brother and my cousin
    two miles of almost impassable woods road to get to the sugar bush and shack (heaven)

We are in cove Bay and run about 30-33 to 1.had a good run yesterday 80 gallons on 100 taps. Hoping for more today,
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

Ended up with 115 on Friday and 67 on Saturday. Making dark amber. We picked up the buckets and pulled taps(29) . Going to collect the 3/16 gravity lines today and call it a season.

The sap ran the best of the season today. Probably 200 gallons to cook in the morning. Cooked a little down on the stove and it still tastes amazing. We will pull taps on Sunday.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234