+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Normal Tapping

Hybrid View

Default Normal Tapping

I figure we need a thread for us "normal" saps.

We have everything ready to go. 160 taps on 3/16th. We're still locked into winter in the Mcgregor area. Fresh snow and over 2 feet of ice still on the lake. Our trees are just starting to wake up. One test tap that was in all last week only produced 1/2 gallon of sap. I'm glad we didn't rush to try and be ready. The forcast looks like we might have a couple weeks before things really get going good.
    Last edited by warners point; 02-26-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I'm right there with you. In Grand Rapids and eyeballing the 11th based on the extended forecast. Couple loose ends to tidy up this weekend but overall all set to go.

We are in a similar state. I tapped 1/3 of the trees that are on 3/16" back when we had the warm weather. Ended up with 60 gallons of sap. I have yet to put out the bags as I think we are still a couple of weeks out. Looking forward to getting started and am getting a few things together as well.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Ran like crazy yesterday, today is even better. Have 17.5 gallons of sap so far, should see around 20-25 by the end of that day. That is about 1 gallon a tree.

I didn't get a chance to check yesterday and had overflowing today. Had 5 gallons from 4 taps on 2 trees overflowing into a 5 gallon bucket. Most bags have 2 gallons. Stainless and my new aluminum taps are great, but the old aluminum taps aren't doing much for this second run. I am thinking there is truth to bacteria and cleaning taps. I must not have done a good enough job.

Quote Originally Posted by lindnova View Post
    I didn't get a chance to check yesterday and had overflowing today. Had 5 gallons from 4 taps on 2 trees overflowing into a 5 gallon bucket. Most bags have 2 gallons. Stainless and my new aluminum taps are great, but the old aluminum taps aren't doing much for this second run. I am thinking there is truth to bacteria and cleaning taps. I must not have done a good enough job.
    When I was using buckets I would wash my taps when I pulled them and boil them just before I tapped. One year I didn't boil them and it turned out to be a mistake. Three weeks later 1/2 of the holes were dried up. Boiled the same taps the next season and only had 1 tree dry up 4 weeks into the season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

No cooking sap this weekend everything in storage is frozen solid. Hopefully things will be ready to roll the following weekend.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

There's a slow drip started after these last cold days. Looks like the next week will be a good one. If it is it will be a worthwhile season regardless of what the weather does after that.

Looking for responses from northern MN operations, I have about 300 taps out and only about 700 gallons collected so far. The seemed to be coming out last weekend but things have been slow, looking to see how others are doing in this part of the state(Bemidji area).

Our trees finally started to run. It looks like a couple of good days and then back into the deep freeze. There were still trucks all over the lake yesterday. What a difference being 150 miles north of the cities makes.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast