+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap in vacuum line

Default Sap in vacuum line

Today my releaser was froze up a little bit, and at times the sap would start to pool inside the chamber, and I would have to manually dump the sap using the release valve. What would happen if I had not been there to dump it, I assume it would enter my vacuum line and end up at the vacuum. What kind of damage if any would that do to my vacuum

That would depend on what you have for a vacuum pump. It won't hurt a liquid ring pump but will kill others. You need a moisture trap to prevent sap from getting into the vacuum pump. Mechanical releasers always screw up, some more so than others.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    That would depend on what you have for a vacuum pump. It won't hurt a liquid ring pump but will kill others. You need a moisture trap to prevent sap from getting into the vacuum pump. Mechanical releasers always screw up, some more so than others.
    Would not be good for an oil cooled liquid ring.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I believe I have an oil cooled liquid ring, but am not entirely sure. It is an airablo 8 cfm vacuum

You need a moisture trap for it. You probably wouldn't kill the pump but the sap would mix with the oil and make a mess of things. Plus if it's in a closed system, you would probably have other issues due to overpressure to say the least.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

As others have said, a moisture trap is needed to protect the pump. Be aware that it is best to put the trap in a warm space if possible. Traps can suffer the same problems as releasers do in freezing weather. If you get only a little blow-by of sap at a time, it can accumulate and then freeze around the ball, trapping it in place, which renders the mechanism inoperable (meaning that it won't stop sap and protect the pump).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Tap&sap View Post
    I believe I have an oil cooled liquid ring, but am not entirely sure. It is an airablo 8 cfm vacuum
    That is a rotary vane pump. If sap is in there for an extended period of time with pump running, it isn't good for vanes. They now make modulating valves you can put between releaser and trap that close when they sense any moisture. If you do get sap in pump, it is best to drain, fill with fresh oil, run for a while, then drain and fill again.
    Neil

Thanks for the info, I'll look into installing that type of trap

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    As others have said, a moisture trap is needed to protect the pump. Be aware that it is best to put the trap in a warm space if possible. Traps can suffer the same problems as releasers do in freezing weather. If you get only a little blow-by of sap at a time, it can accumulate and then freeze around the ball, trapping it in place, which renders the mechanism inoperable (meaning that it won't stop sap and protect the pump).
    I've got two moisture traps at my releaser which is 1500' away from my pump and a heat source. I also have a trap about mid way up the vacuum line to catch anything that might make it past the first two. I had sap make it all of the way up to pump which is about a 35 to 50 foot elevation change before I installed the moisture traps. I consider them to be pretty cheap insurance. It was a lot of down time that cost me a lot in unmade syrup when I had to take the vacuum pipe all apart to drain the sap out of it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread