+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syrup pricing

It does you little good to know what we are selling syrup for, you need to find out what the local market is selling it at. Check other local producers, then be right in the middle of their prices, don't try to start a price war.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

There are many ways to sell syrup, and may people who buy syrup. IMHO I wouldn't even begin to try and sell/compete with the larger producers who place product in the larger stores. We sell all of ours through word-of-mouth, social media and a local sandwich shop. Where we are at, folks like to know what they are getting, where it came from, and who made it. The types of bottles (glass, plastic, etc.) and volumes all make a difference in who buys it and how much one can charge. We built a "micro market" and it works well. Last fall I attended a maple workshop and one of the speakers indicated that there is plenty of market for small/mid-scale producers to sell all of their syrup at fair prices. My experience is that his observations are accurate.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    It does you little good to know what we are selling syrup for, you need to find out what the local market is selling it at. Check other local producers, then be right in the middle of their prices, don't try to start a price war.
    I guess I should have worded my question differently. Having been in both the wholesale and retail marine businesses for work for 30 plus years I was only trying to see where people were at. I'm very familiar with the prices wars BS and I've sent more than a few people out of my boatyard when they demanded I meet a price. I don't believe in low balling nor over pricing either. I believe in being fair to all parties involved.
    My signature shows where I live. I thought I might hear from some folks near me but your right on one point. I don't care what you sell it for in NH or the other states as that would have no effect on me. It would be interesting to see how others price their product for the sake of curiosity but what do I know, I'm just a Maple Enthusiast not a Super Moderator......
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

sg,
    I was always and still am concerned about our maple products and pricing. Years ago I was talking to another sugarmaker about pricing and he said that the only ones really concerned/ worried about pricing is the producer. Meaning the customers will generally pay good money for quality product. So whenever I loose sleep over a price increase I try to think back on that. We don't raise our prices each year. In fact it had been 5 years since we had any price increases in maple syrup and or value added product.
    I have heard rumors that there are folks within a hours drive from our sugarhouse that are selling finished, juged syrup for $38 per gallon. That is a very very reasonable price, for this area. I have also heard some areas of the country (New England states) getting $70 plus for gallons of syrup too.
    We attempt to have quality products and try to inform our customers about our products. As another local sugarmaker noted. We are selling an "experience" not just syrup. Customers will pay for that experience! We see that every year as folks come back to the sugarhouse to visit, enjoy the time in the sugarhouse, listen and learn some things about making a natural food product!

So, we are at $60 per gallon this season. And I think we may have sold more gallon jugs this year than prior seasons at this same time. Most folks (other sugarhouses in area) are not at this price point. Like any other business, someone will always be more, others will be less. We had 300 plus folks come through the sugarhouse and test the products and review the pricing before they purchased in mid March. I dont think we heard any complaints. Our sales were normal or maybe a little above. (we have been doing this for 16 years) I am sure the customers went to other sugarhouses (on our 19 sugarhouse tour) and bought maple products and compared prices too. Maybe we will be stuck with a pile of syrup at the end of the season? Maybe no one will come back next year? Check back in April 2020 I will let you know how the year went.

Maybe good to see what others are pricing there products at for sure. But I dont necessarily agree with about being in the middle. The view is always the same from the middle of the pack. Its up to you!

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris,
    I agree with you. I sell primarily pints. I've been at $10 for a few years. Moved to my current location 2 years ago and finally got everything set and organized this year. Spent a ton of money to get it all set up from scratch. I'm going to bump it up a dollar or two this year. Everything this year was an "experiment as there wasn't any infrastructure in place. I set up 3 shurflo pumps on 3/16, an Rb15 RO Bucket kit and a small Smokey Lake filter press. New shack the year I moved in. Very pleased with how it all went.
    Hope it all went well for you.
    Scott
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by sg5054 View Post
    My signature shows where I live. I thought I might hear from some folks near me but your right on one point. I don't care what you sell it for in NH or the other states as that would have no effect on me. It would be interesting to see how others price their product for the sake of curiosity but what do I know, I'm just a Maple Enthusiast not a Super Moderator......
    We are over in western Maine but not too far away. We sell ours for $5/half pint, $8/Pint, $15/Qt., $28/Half Gallon and $55/Gallon. We may discount $1 or $2 if someone buys a lot but generally that is our price whether to a consumer or 1 of the 4 businesses we sell to. They then mark it up from there and it still sells. I consider those prices average for our area. Being near the coast like you are, you can probably get a little more than that if you market it to the right people (IE - tourists). Check with some of the local shops and see if they will sell it for you. Check other shops to see what they are charging, mark yours down some from that and find a shop that doesn't have any maple syrup for sale. Work out a price with them.

I've never sold any myself, but here in SW Ontario... (Elmira Area)... Prices seem to be $40-$50 Cdn$/4Litre.... or $10-$17Cdn$ /Litre
    Which equates to $28-$35USD/Gallon and $7-$12USD/Quart

wmick - The prices in your area have always been driven down by the Mennonite farmers. My understanding was they wanted everything gone by May and priced it to sell quickly! Our prices in 2004 were higher than they are selling it for now. I know my costs have gone up a lot in the last 15 years!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    wmick - The prices in your area have always been driven down by the Mennonite farmers. My understanding was they wanted everything gone by May and priced it to sell quickly! Our prices in 2004 were higher than they are selling it for now. I know my costs have gone up a lot in the last 15 years!
    I had no idea that we were in such a low ball niche area here..... Assuming all syrup quality was the same, (which obviously we cant).... you could buy it from the folks over here... take it home and resell it for a decent margin, never needing to split a block of wood.
    I guess the low pricing would help to explain why there's always been maple syrup in the house, growing up. I cant imagine who's buying the half-pint or 250ml bottles... I could use that up on a couple bowls of ice-cream. I wonder what the poor people eating?
    Last edited by wmick; 04-11-2019 at 04:14 PM.

I get 7 for a half pint,13 pint 22 quart,37 for a half gallon and 65 for a gallon, sure I give some breaks here or there especially for the people buying a gallon per week. But I don't give my syrup away and I won't, I sell every bit that I can make and then some.

I will Add that I have never had a complaint about my prices from any consumer's, just the occasional sugar maker
    Last edited by n8hutch; 04-11-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast