+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When to Change Filter on RO?

Default When to Change Filter on RO?

I'm supposed to check the RO sap filter before I run it, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I've put 800 gallons of raw sap through it so far. It's turning tan, but I don't know if that is staining from when I flushed the preservative out. Any input is appreciated.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Filter should be changed every day at least. Sometimes more especially later in season on those warmer long days. Also if you see your flow rate dropping. You should never leave a used filter in the machine when it's not in use as they become a breeding ground for micro organisms.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I sometimes go through 4 a day
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I'm supposed to check the RO sap filter before I run it, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I've put 800 gallons of raw sap through it so far. It's turning tan, but I don't know if that is staining from when I flushed the preservative out. Any input is appreciated.

Sean
    You should not use the same filter that you used to flush the presevative as you do for raw sap!

Yikes. Thanks for the info. I just went and pulled it out. A new one is going in before the next boil!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Like you, I've got the 125, mines upgradable. I've found that we change the filter at varying rates. Sometimes I'll change it daily, sometimes two days, sometimes three days. I always check it daily, and consider flow and pressure. What micron rating filter are you using? Smaller (5ish) may filter better initially, but also may plug a bit earlier. I use the Sterling 10 micron, and buy them by the case.
    take care, Mark

Real bad idea to go more than 1 day on a filter. The filter catches micro organisms and then you store it in a heated room where they will multiply. That is a false economy. At $3 and change, you should change at least daily, more often if the inlet pressure gauge drops below 20 PSI.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Well, I'll agree that its a real good idea to check the RO filter daily, and change when needed every time. That's what Ray puts right on the RO, "check filter daily", which we do and usually do change daily as well. But on occasion a filter does last longer and without any poor result for the machine or the final syrup.
    take care, Mark

+ Reply to Thread