+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple diamonds!

Default Maple diamonds!

I've been rounding up bottles for filling (I bottle at the end of the season from the jugs I fill as I finish each batch) while waiting for my taps to turn back on and I found a bottle of syrup from maybe 2 seasons ago with huge crystals growing from the bottom. I've seen tiny one a few times, but nothing this big. The largest one in the picture is 1" across and barely fit through the neck of the bottle! These all came from the same small (9 oz) bottle of light (color and density) syrup. I expected the syrup to be thicker, given that it grew these monstrous crystals. Or maybe that's why it seemed thin? (Sugar coming out of solution.) I tried one of the small ones - it was just slightly sweet and hard as a rock!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty neat i have a couple from last year too.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

We had one that would not fit through a regular sized mason jar. After we disturbed it began shrinking. We got it out and show to science classes.

Quote Originally Posted by SlopYourDripper View Post
    I expected the syrup to be thicker, given that it grew these monstrous crystals. Or maybe that's why it seemed thin? (Sugar coming out of solution.)
    I think the syrup you bottled a couple of years ago was way too thick and now that the excess sugar has come out the remaining syrup should measure around 66.5 degrees Brix.

+ Reply to Thread