+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How long do we have?

Default How long do we have?

I noticed the buds on some of my trees already swelling. The runs the last few days have been very bad to non-existent. Are we already done, at least in the southern part of the state?

we'll find out.

I once heard someone say that when the peepers peep three days in a row, the season's over. I've heard them once.

there doesn't seem to be a way of reliably predicting or measuring when or how the end of the season arrives...I gots an idea, but then gots to find a statistician...

I still have trees that haven't even started to flow (low lying land), so I've got to think there's time.

man plans, nature scoffs.

I'd like to think we'll have at least one more good run.

It was too hot last week, although my sap kept running until this morning.

Might get close to freezing tonight which will be good.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

I'm thinking this might be the last week and next weekend the last weekend. We'll see. Glad I tapped early!!
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Do not worry young Jedi, The Fat Frog has not begun to sing!!! If it does you're Toast!!! Boil on, Full Steam ahead!! Good Luck.

Up and down temps for the next two weeks - I am in a low valley with little sun this time of year - the pond nearby is still ice covered so I am hoping for at least two more weeks.
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

I noticed some trees budding in Middlebury this morning but I believe the real end of the season is signaled when the moths arrive....no moths yet so 1 or 2 more runs.
    19-21 Back to tapping
    17-18: not able to tap
    14-16 present: Portable Oil Tank evaporator 40+ taps
    09-14: Stove to Barrel - 20 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Calycanthus View Post
    we'll find out.

I once heard someone say that when the peepers peep three days in a row, the season's over. I've heard them once.

there doesn't seem to be a way of reliably predicting or measuring when or how the end of the season arrives...I gots an idea, but then gots to find a statistician...

I still have trees that haven't even started to flow (low lying land), so I've got to think there's time.

man plans, nature scoffs.
    I'm taking this to the bank! I heard the peepers 1x too.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I think I read on a different thread that what may look like buds opening may be the flowers, which is ok. sure. I am nervous, I started feb 15. I figure if we make it through 65 degree tomorrow and Thursday, then we may be good for three more weeks. Acuweather had predicted a regular March with warm days, freezing nights, but now many of those freezing nights are just above freezing.

I suppose it depends on the tree buds.. Many of mine are red and silver, which I also hear that they simply stop, rather than go buddy nasty. I have 3 to four more burn days of firewood, and not buying any if the season stops. 20 gallons sap yesterday, plus whatever today, plus (cross your fingers here)....
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Had a good run the past few days.now it looks like after tommrow the weather will allot better for us
    First year sugar man.got 25 taps on just over a acre of land.its s mix of mostly sugars,norway,and a single red maple.
    Use a 2 pan barrel stove evaporator
    And my 4 legged helper Gemma the golden retriever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast