+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter, WI

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    nothing to speak of on the bags, not much more on the vacuum.... tomorrow through Friday should be very good. (then shut down for the weekend and start up again Tuesday of the week)....
    Did you put those non producers on new trees last weekend? We tapped 40 more new trees (hard maples) on buckets Saturday. It will be interesting to compare new to old taps.

Yes, please keep us posted on the new taps vs, the older ones. I fear that mine will shut down soon, (tapped 3/11).
    301 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by sticky face View Post
    Did you put those non producers on new trees last weekend? We tapped 40 more new trees (hard maples) on buckets Saturday. It will be interesting to compare new to old taps.
    I did. We will see today how they do.

Update at 2:08 - Some are doing good, others are just doing ok. I guess every little bit helps. ("little bit" are the key words for this season.... )
    Last edited by Austin351; 04-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Collected about 50 gallons today off my 65ish taps (47? on 3/16 mechanical vacuum and the rest on bags). Lines were going good from 9:00am but have slowed a bit. Not supposed to get below freezing tonight so left the pump on and will see if some keep flowing overnight. Weekend will be used for boiling down whatever I have since it looks too cold for anything to flow. All new week looks very good.

I collected a little over a gal. per tap today. Most were running good. I could tell a few of the better runners have slowed down quite a bit though. Those were trees in the open and on south side. I hope the others can keep chugging along late into next week.
    301 buckets

Glad to hear that they're not dried up Mike!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mike z View Post
    Yes, please keep us posted on the new taps vs, the older ones. I fear that mine will shut down soon, (tapped 3/11).
    Trees were dripping good on wed. 4-11, so I kept track of gallons for comparison. All containers were empty on 4-7 and collected by evening on 4-11. 80 bags tapped on 3-10 with 2 year old 7/16 taps produced 54 gallons. 40 pails on new 5/16 taps tapped on 4-7 produced 47 gallons. It should be noted that of those 80 from 3-10, some still have not produced more than a cup of sap. No rodent damage to bags this time. New pails out produced old bags, but new taps always seem to run hard on their first run. Another interesting thing was a tree with 2 pails, north side pail had 4 gallons south side pail had 1/2 gallon.
    Last edited by sticky face; 04-13-2018 at 07:50 PM.

According to the 10 day forecast on Weather.com, we got about 9 days left in the season.... Syrup wise, I am sitting now where I was at the end of the season last year. I can't say this was a good year but last year for me was horrific...

Lets hope the overnight lows for next week are lower than the forecast, or it could be a deal breaker.
    Last edited by sticky face; 04-16-2018 at 07:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast