+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .5% sugar. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by michiganfarmer2 View Post
    I have a full time day job. I had to let the sap sit in the tanks for 5 days. Could bacteria have eaten the sugar? I have consistantly had 2% for the last 10 years from this woods.
    Yes, especially with high temperature. At a Leader RO seminar two years ago they said that raw sap can spoil in 48 hours and concentrate in 6 hours. That being said you should also verify your hydrometer.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I apppreciate the replies. THank you everyone
    3x12 drop flue.
    1000 taps on 24 inches of vacuum, and 200 buckets.
    Bought a used springtech 500 GPH RO
    Shooting for 29" of vacuum, less than 5 taps per line, and 2 quarts per tap.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lown-...4713586?ref=hl

Although, Yes micro organism consuming sugar and degrade sap quality, the sap will have spoiled by the time there would be a significant drop in sugar content. If the sap is still good enough to boil then the loss to micro organisms would be fairly small. That said, all experts agree the sooner you boil your sap the better.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Thankfully someone discovered RO for removing water. My trees are second growth with narrow crowns, few lower branches and other competing hardwoods. Poor sugar producers. RO,RO,RO.

I think in my case this year's low sugar is directly related to the lack of freeze thaw cycles. While I've had as many or more days of sap flow compared to many years, this year the thaws last a few days and then the freezes last a few, rather than most night freeze and then followed by a warm day. Since mid Jan, when my first woods was tapped I have not had even a single freeze thaw day, they have all been long stretches. I believe the sugar would come up some if I had a few days with a daily freeze thaw in a row.
    Have the rest with low sugar had the same patterns?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Have the rest with low sugar had the same patterns?
    Yes, I've been collecting a lot of low-sugar sap for exactly the same reason. This season I've been dumping as much ice as I could, and I'm still only averaging 1.7% for the season so far.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12