+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader half pint evaporator

Default Leader half pint evaporator

Just bricked and seasoned my new half pint evaporator. Today will be our first run with sap. Any tips? Do you draw it off at the syrup stage or just before that temperature/density and then finish off on stove top or turkey fryer?

Best tip: Spend hours on this site searching and combing through the threads to answer specific questions. I have learned a lot here.

Drawing off finished syrup is ideal but depends on a number of factors. It will take the better part of a day to sweeten the pan. I used a Mason 2x3 last year and was able to finish on the pan. Do you have a thermometer and a hydrometer? Those will help you determine if your syrup is finished. The turkey fryer may give you a better measure of control if you need it.

When I had a half pint I did both ways. If I had loads of sap, I finished on the stove with windows open, when I could keep up with the sap I finished on the evaporator. Either way, draw fairly slow to minimizing mixing in the channels from surges as you open and close the valve. The best part it to have fun.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a leader 1/2 pint you will have to run close to 100 gals .of sap through before you can draw off syrup. Any thing less and I have to finish on my turkey fryer.

Quote Originally Posted by On the ledge View Post
    I have a leader 1/2 pint you will have to run close to 100 gals .of sap through before you can draw off syrup. Any thing less and I have to finish on my turkey fryer.
    You must be a mind reader. I just finished boiling my first 50 gallons and logged on here to ask when/how to draw off. The liquid is definitely sweeter and thicker, but not syrup. Should I leave all the concentrated liquid in overnight and hope for a good run tomorrow to add to it? Or is it just better to pull out the turkey fryer from last year finished it off?

Also, what did you do for defoaming? I used the drops but still had to skim off by hand?

How often do you empty and clean the pan?

Thanks!

I've had my halfpint two years now and I've always tried to take it off as close to 219 as I can, a (good) thermometer is a must, I run my depth at 2 inches, This is what works for me, you are just going to have to find out what works for you.
    80 Taps and just as many trees

2008 10 taps and milk jugs and turkey roasting pan
    2009 and 2010 15 taps , buckets and barrel set up
    2011 22 taps buckets and barrel set up and pre heater
    2012 25 taps buckets and barrel set up and pre heater
    2013 Who knows yet!!!!!
    2014 50 taps, buckets, bags and a better barrel set up with pre heater
    2015 80 taps, all bags, custom built arch with half pint pan
    Sap hauler 2004 Honda 450 es Foreman and a 3ftx4ft yard cart

+ Reply to Thread