+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Southwest PA Tapping

Default 2021 Southwest PA Tapping

Starting the thread for SWPA.

Anyone thinking about pulling the trigger and tapping this coming weekend? Weather is starting to look good.

I have hung most of my new 3/16 line and am itching to tap and get the new vacuum box going!
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

This weekend is looking more and more like a good starting time. I'm not ready....guess I gotta stop procrastinating.

I plan on tapping this weekend or early next week, whenever I get back home from work.
    2021 - first year, planning for 200 taps with a 2x5' flat pan with copper drop tubes

I tapped this past weekend. Plan on washing tanks and setting releasers this coming weekend, looks like sap next week.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

I'm starting to think maybe next weekend for tapping. Now through Wednesday doesn't get higher than 34. I don't think I'll miss much if I wait one more week. I'm not quite ready and I wanted to rerun some lines (of course my 3/16th tubing has been on back order for 3 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    I'm starting to think maybe next weekend for tapping. Now through Wednesday doesn't get higher than 34. I don't think I'll miss much if I wait one more week. I'm not quite ready and I wanted to rerun some lines (of course my 3/16th tubing has been on back order for 3 weeks).
    How much 3/16 do you need? I had ordered some from Leader a few weeks back and saw it was back ordered. In a panic I called and asked them to remove it from the order and ship everything else. I ordered a 500’ roll of Lapierre. I ended up getting both the Leader and Lapierre rolls delivered.

I haven’t touched the Lapierre roll and won’t need it this year. You are welcome to have it, if you would like it. I am located in Harrisburg.

thanks for the offer! i'm south of pittsburgh.....a little far for a tubing run. most of my stuff can wait until next year but i was hoping to reroute a few lines. i did a panic 2nd buy also on monday and have yet to get any ship confirmation.....so when everything finally ships this summer (haha) i'll be set for next season.

I held off given the changes in the forecast. Looks like this Thursday and Friday could produce a run, but then there are 8 days in the forecast that never break freezing. Debating on tapping or holding off?? 3/16 with check valve spiles and the extended cold shouldn't shorten the tap hole life too badly.

What are others thinking?
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

If forecast holds.....I won't be tapping until the 13th and 14th. I've been busy and not really ready so I'm welcoming the cold blast

Roughly 80 out of 100 taps done. I'll be done tapping Saturday. Next week looks good...here comes the start of the season Hopefully it doesn't warm to quickly. Last year I called it by March 10....that's less than 3 weeks away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast