+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapped too late?

Default Tapped too late?

We tapped and hung 50 buckets on February 18 in NW PA and boiled 110 gallons of sap down to two gallons of lovely syrup on February 21. Now the temperatures are way above average with 60s in the day and 40s at night. I can see the buds beginning to swell. I hope winter returns befor our tap holes dry up.
    Last edited by red gate maple; 02-22-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

suppose to go back to winter next week for a few days then real winter again if you can believe weatherman. I wuold think your taps should be good for 6 or 7 weeks good luck

Taps will be good the only thing is will the sap be any good if it runs,pretty sure I'm done in north NJ, test boil it if it smells it's it,the peeper frogs were singing Saturday night
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

Your taps should be good and fresh for the run that is coming tomorrow! Hope you have lots of rest and firewood!
    We are about 1 hour north west of you. Tapped Feb 5th, 6th, and 7th. Should be good for another 2 weeks if the weather is good.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We were late to the game this year since I had not tapped seriously in 5 years. Tubing, vacuum lines, releaser, tanks all needed major overhauls, so I did not have my taps ready in time. It's always a risk, but I am farther south than Chris, I I have to tap a week to two earlier.

I had planned on tapping a week ago, but had a business trip. I broke open some buds yesterday, they are soft and a bit green. Soft maples are in full bud.

I boiled some to be sure, and it's all wood smell with no sweet. Without a deep freeze, I am done before I got started. I had one time about 10 years ago where it went into deep freeze and the sap went back to normal.

Good to be back on the trader, all the best to everyone.

Brian
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

Thanks for the advice Chris. The sap is really flowing today! Planning a big boil Thursday morning. The sap I collected today was crystal clear. I am so glad the season isn't over!
    Last edited by red gate maple; 02-28-2017 at 06:37 PM.

In NW PA we had a big sap surge last week now everything is frozen and will remain that way for at least a week. I happy to have some time to do some other things then get ready for the big thaw and hopefully another sap surge!

Brian, Welcome back! We had a lot of good conversations about making syrup and equipment!

Guys sometimes I am off making some noise on other posts and don't pay attention whats going on close to home! Sorry!

Red Gate,
    You should be in pretty good shape and getting some sap today and Tuesday????
    I did go and check there collection containers 30 + taps on the first and there was a quart of sap. 16 taps on the next one and it had 1/2 gallon. Third had 20 taps and there was about 1.5 gallons of clear sap.
    I think my taps may have dried out. Its been 6 weeks. Wa have had VERY warm and VERY cold spells during that time.
    We had to dump 60 gallons of sweet that was not good.
    Not sure I will be boiling again this season. We made a lot of good syrup Pretty much a full crop for us.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Pulled my taps 3/23 and bottled our final batch of syrup today 3/25. After tapping late, we still had a 5 week season. I am sad the season is over but am looking forward to the 2017 Maple Expo and the 2018 maple season.

I think its about over too. Pretty rough this year very little sap and no sugar in what we did pick up.Hope to be retired by next year , so I am hoping for more sap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast