+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live maple sap cam

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    How about a cam watching the grass grow. Or maybe a a cam watching paint dry. Those could be real hits too!

Seriously though, as mundane as that sap cam might be, I am more curious about the technology. Curious what goes into having a live cam and then how it is posted to Youtube? That I find pretty cool. How is the came powered 27/7? Solar? Battery with solar charging? And then how is the feed posted to Youtube?

Pretty cool stuff.
    Well, we plan on setting our cam up for the spring and fall to watch the wildlife back in our swamp. Summertime, well, our neighbors have a tiki bar next to their below ground pool. Lets just say we will be watching the neighbors... LOL

Mine, I had buried a outdoor network cable to our sap shack when I buried the water and ele. lines. Of course I also ran TV cable too. Hey, when the trench is open, bury it... So I have a router providing wireless and also another cam in the sap shack. Our friends and neighbors were always wanting us to "let" them know when we are boiling. So I just gave them a link and told them if they were not busy, check the cam and see if we were boiling. Sorry, not giving that cam address out...

So from there, I was able to use Google maps and see how far the tank was from the sap shack. Turned out to be just under 300', the max is suppose to be 100 meters, so I simply strung more outdoor network cable, crimped on some ends and plugged it into my router. My wireless will not reach out that far either. Then just a matter of hooking up to a website.

Looks like my tank is just starting to crack open and leaking sap. When I get a thawed puddle in there, I will get the bypass line working and really start pulling sap.

I didn't know about Youtube either. Will have to look into that too.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

I might just have to share this! Perhaps set it to some nice meditation music.

Thanks DaveB and Waynehere. Great description. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I was wondering how all that worked. Very cool!
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Like the nostalgic touch with the 1970's date stamp on the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSap4Maple View Post
    Like the nostalgic touch with the 1970's date stamp on the cam.
    That happened because I lot power/connection to the camera because of the storm and for some reason it defaults to 1970 when it does that. Why I don't know but I will be out there tomorrow and fix it.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123