+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweetened pan and warm weather

Stiets, I have 8 inch pipe and I fire about every 7 min, the section of flue pan opposite from where the fresh sap is added boils so hard it jumps over the side of the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    Stiets, I have 8 inch pipe and I fire about every 7 min, the section of flue pan opposite from where the fresh sap is added boils so hard it jumps over the side of the pan.
    That's what I am looking for, jumping popping fresh sap. I am new with this pan but it seems to take a long time to draw off and long time between draw offs. The sap is taking to long to boil down and with the syrup pan section too hot the syrup is dark. Sorry for all the questions. Haven't had time to post pictures, ask questions and talk to anyone else with the same pan. Thank you in advance.

How long in between you draw offs? And about how much do you pull off at a time?

What is the depth of tour sap in the pan?

Sounds like you are in good space. Just need to add a blower to add in air and you should be close to 20 ghp.
    Last edited by Stiets; 02-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.

It did take awhile for the first drawoff, maybe 120-150 gallons. The drawoffs have been kinda erratic in volume and the time in between. Ive drawn a quart to a half gallon at a time. I'm new to this too so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I feel like I should be having more draws as well. I am drawing off a little light and finishing on propane. It seems to me that everytime I stop boilling there is some mixing between sections and i think that screws up the draws. I may drawoff some sweet before I finish the next boil and then pour it back in at the valve as I start the following boil. When I emptied my pans to clean them the sweet I drained boiled down to ~3gal of syrup. Not sure if thats normal or not.

just saw the other ?, I keep the sap around 1.5 -2 inches, I have the SL float box and I keep it set to the center notch. In between draws may be a couple hrs, and i agree it is helpful talking to somebody with the same pan.

Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    just saw the other ?, I keep the sap around 1.5 -2 inches, I have the SL float box and I keep it set to the center notch. In between draws may be a couple hrs, and i agree it is helpful talking to somebody with the same pan.
    Thank you very much lyford. I had a local old time syrup maker stop and check out my new pan. He questioned why there was not any "doors" you could open and close the holes from the different sections. He had an old 2x6 Leader setup that had "doors or gates" he could slide up and down to lock in the syrup and finish off. I saw his pan a few years ago and showed him a stainless spatula that I can place in front of the hole going into the first or second hole of the syrup pan to stop fresh sap from mixing while drawing off. He liked that idea. I don't think it is required to do so but might help to stop mixing. Just don't pull off too much and burn the pan.

I have been running at the same depth also. I do think it is normal to get that amout of syrup from the sweet. At the end of the season I plan to drain the sweet and finish down on the kitchen stove. It will be nice to get a 3 gallon batch at the end. This year has been a big learning year for me since I am using a new continuous flow pan and not a flat single batch pan. Taking a lot of notes and going to build a new oil tank evaporator from scratch once the season is over and the new sugar shack it finished and painted.

Yeah its my first year goin from a flat pan batch style to continuous flow. Lots of learning to do. I actually called Jim over at SL, he plans on having plugs available this summer to prevent any mixing between sections. I'll have to wait and see what he comes up with. Ive called and spoke with Jim directly 3-4 times and he has been extremely patient and helpful with my newbie questions.

try floating a few bags of sealed ice? i did that today in my 2x4 flat pan. Shutdown last night and want to boil anything i get today and tomorrow.
    I've seen a few guys freeze water bottles and drop them in the sections. Buys you a little time if it's really warm out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12