+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nostalgic Look Of Buckets

Default Nostalgic Look Of Buckets

Remember as a kid on my great grandfathers farm all the hard work associated with sugaring. Tapping, hanging the buckets, cutting the fire wood, using the draft horses to gather the sap, and then boiling on this long "monster" homemade evaporator with a long homemade flat pan. The only way I ever remember him testing his complete syrup was with a wooden spoon.

As I drive through town I see tubing hanging all over the woods. I see large plastic storage containers, barrels, vacuum pumps, and pump houses, modern sugar shacks.....

It makes me realize how much the industry has evolved, but more so how enjoyable it was to be able to spend that time with my family as a kid sugaring.

Something about that bucket hanging on the tree brings back some of the best memories ever.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I still put out some roadside buckets just for that look. I tap the maple trees around our church and you have to have buckets...it just wouldn't look right with out them. Every time I put one up, I just love that sound of the sap dripping!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I still put out some roadside buckets just for that look. I tap the maple trees around our church and you have to have buckets...it just wouldn't look right with out them. Every time I put one up, I just love that sound of the sap dripping!
    Ting ting ting......music to a sugar maker's ears
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

My cousin and I had 300 of the classic red wooden buckets back in the 70's. Only about a mile from johnpma! Used by my grandfather, through maybe the 1930's or 40's. My dad who is 91 remembers using them. They had to be swelled, and repainted every 3-4 years, but they worked out fairly well. Lost a couple each year to old age but there was still a large stash for replacements. Kept sap cooler than metal buckets on warm days.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    My cousin and I had 300 of the classic red wooden buckets back in the 70's. Only about a mile from johnpma! Used by my grandfather, through maybe the 1930's or 40's. My dad who is 91 remembers using them. They had to be swelled, and repainted every 3-4 years, but they worked out fairly well. Lost a couple each year to old age but there was still a large stash for replacements. Kept sap cooler than metal buckets on warm days.

Dave
    I love that story Dave!! Did your grangfather make the buckets himself? I still see some wooden buckets around now and then.

No idea where they came from. I still have a few that I use. The old woodworking shop (now Bisbee Mill Museum) made many wooden implements back in the day but no sign that they ever made buckets. However there is a jig that originally connected to a wide belt going to the water powered shafts, that drilled holes in the old style wooden spouts! It's on display in the museum.

Bascoms has a bunch of wooden buckets for sale, $20 apiece. But they aren't red, they are silver. Canadian colors maybe?

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    Ting ting ting......music to a sugar maker's ears
    I agree this is music to a sugar maker's ears. I still use buckets because I like the old school look. Maybe someday I will put up some tubing but we will see.
    Pure Mountain Maple
    Lapierre Mini-Pro
    12x16 sugarhouse
    John Deere 1050 4wd
    John Deere 2130 HFWD
    2- 35 gallon leg tanks, one 65 gallon leg tank
    100 gallon sap feed-tank
    Started with 12 buckets on a flat pan 2013
    2023 - 55 taps. all buckets

+ Reply to Thread