+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NH Carlisle Award

Default NH Carlisle Award

Hillcroft Farms Wins the Coveted Carlisle Award for Best NH Maple Syrup
    The Awarding-Winning NH Maple Syrup Uses One Pure Ingredient: Sap

The New Hampshire Maple Producers Association (NHMPA) is proud to award this
    year’s Lawrence A. Carlisle Memorial Trophy for the best NH-made maple syrup to Hillcroft
    Farm in New Boston, NH. Hillcroft Farm is small scale producer of maple syrup, producing syrup
    the traditional way, by tapping maple trees and boiling the sap over a wood fire. This is first time
    Hillcroft Farm has been awarded the top prize.
    As a small producer with a small budget, Charles “Charlie” Peak, Master Syrup Maker of
    Hillcroft Farm, has always concentrated on the quality of the syrup by working with sap that is as
    clean and fresh as possible. He says “To be judged by people who are experts in the maple
    industry is a huge honor.”
    Charlie’s passion for creating maple syrup starts with family. “My grandfather let me drive a
    team of horses pulling a sled with a large gathering tank because the snow was too deep for me
    to collect the sap buckets. So when I am trudging through 3 feet of snow in early February
    tapping trees, it brings me back to that time and I am stimulated by Dad and Grandfather.”
    Commonly referred to as the Carlisle Award, the award is presented annually by the NHMPA for
    excellence in production of maple syrup. Entries are judged by density, clarity and flavor. Any of
    the 400-plus members can submit an entry. The award is named for Lawrence A. Carlisle, a
    commissioner of Agriculture in the 1920s and 1930s, devoted to the development of the maple
    industry in New Hampshire and best known for introducing the maple grading system. Each
    year, the NHMPA recognizes the top five producers. This year, Second Place went to Akins
    Family Sugarhouse in Washington, NH; Third Place to the Sugar House at Morning Star Farm in
    Plaistow, NH; Fourth Place to Journey's End Maple Farm in Pittsfield, NH and Fifth Place to the
    Outback Sugar Shack in Boscawen, NH.
    Charlie for PR (2).jpg
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Glad to finally hear who won a month after the award was given. Great PR

+ Reply to Thread