+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the end near?

I guess I missed out. I have been busy with a kitchen remodel and never tapped by backyard trees. I don't see any good temps in Bergen County for the next 10 days. I'm so ticked.
    2016- 1st year 2 taps in rear year due to late ordering equipment. 7 1/2 gallons of sap from Norway maple= 3 pints of syrup. Hooked and looking at neighborhood tree.

Quote Originally Posted by 5050racing View Post
    I have 175 if you want it free no time to do it let me know?
    Nice offer. I don't have the time to get there to pick up. I should have enough for tonight to boil , my wife said its running now. Thanks again
    2010-1st year,30 taps on buckets ,concrete block and 4 stainless pans

It got down to 29 at my place last night. This afternoon the trees were barely dripping. Next good freeze won't happen until Sunday night. Got the trailer fixed and brought 500 gls home. Don't have much snow left packed arounf the tanks
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by dcast99 View Post
    It got down to 29 at my place last night. This afternoon the trees were barely dripping. Next good freeze won't happen until Sunday night. Got the trailer fixed and brought 500 gls home. Don't have much snow left packed arounf the tanks
    I boiled down 170 gal yesterday. It was only 1.5% sugar and made very dark syrup. All lines are out of tanks til Sunday now , Ill wash them out and start clean for next run . Evaporator cleaning tonight as well

Default Cleaning Evaporator

What do you use to do that? I always rinse good with clean water, then put some white vinegar in and leave it. Maybe heat it up for a short time and brush good, but it takes a while.

Is there a better alternative? Also, at the end of the season, do you do anything to take the black carbon off the bottom of the pan? does easy-off or anything work on that, or is it just brush/wipe it off as best as possible?

Thanks
    John

All red maples:
    2013/4 - A few taps and propane burner
    2015 - 54 taps on bags and buckets, 2x3 Mason evaporator - 3.5 gallons syrup finished and bottled
    2016 - 72 taps on home-built vacuum/mainline system, home built RO (2 - 2.5 x 21 membranes) - 9+ gallons syrup finished and bottled
    2017 - 91 taps upgrade to RO (single 4 x 40 membrane) - 13 gallons syrup
    2018 - 91 taps - 12 gallons syrup
    2022 - Back after 3 years off, 106 taps on vacuum - 29+ gallons syrup

Inside evaporator to get scale off I use HDA 1000 USDA approved phosphoric acid cleaner and brightener from my maple supply guy at Catskill Mountain Maple.diluted per instructions. Toss in some wood into firebox and let it rip to near boil but not boiling walk away and let it sit a day or 2. Scale floats off the pans no scrubbing like magic. Pressure wash flues and bottom of syrup pan. I have also left sap in evaporator to ferment. The bacteria make it acid enough to remove scale, then pressure wash everything. Smells aweful gets jelly like and nasty, but works great. My lines I flush with well water, hooke right to my hose bib spigot.
    180 gravity mostly reds
    15 buckets
    2x6 waterloo small maple pro

Thanks for the info. With the vacuum, I can easily flush my lines with a very dilute bleach solution just suck it in thru the spiles when I take them out of the trees. All runs downhill thru the releaser and sap tank, so that part is easy!

regards
    John

All red maples:
    2013/4 - A few taps and propane burner
    2015 - 54 taps on bags and buckets, 2x3 Mason evaporator - 3.5 gallons syrup finished and bottled
    2016 - 72 taps on home-built vacuum/mainline system, home built RO (2 - 2.5 x 21 membranes) - 9+ gallons syrup finished and bottled
    2017 - 91 taps upgrade to RO (single 4 x 40 membrane) - 13 gallons syrup
    2018 - 91 taps - 12 gallons syrup
    2022 - Back after 3 years off, 106 taps on vacuum - 29+ gallons syrup

[QUOTE=John-NJ;322789]What do you use to do that? I always rinse good with clean water, then put some white vinegar in and leave it. Maybe heat it up for a short time and brush good, but it takes a while.

Is there a better alternative? Also, at the end of the season, do you do anything to take the black carbon off the bottom of the pan? does easy-off or anything work on that, or is it just brush/wipe it off as best as possible?

I use vinegar then water , I'm hoping to boil more after the next few warm days. I get it boiling and use scotchbrite. 4 gallons vinegar and about 5 gallons water heat up and simmer for about an hour . wash it out good. End of season I power wash under side of pan. Tubing I'm not sure of cause this is first year with long runs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12