+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire tips for a mason 2x3

All conventional wood fired evaporators need to be fired regularly. On my 3x8 I fuel it every 9 minutes since I added Air Over Fire, before that I had to fire it every 7 minutes, by a timer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

nhberry, when is your stove supposed to be ready?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

So I picked up my new Mason 2X3 this past weekend and offloaded it into my shed while I prep a new spot for it in my shack. It got exposed to the rain a little and now there are rust spots in the interior. Is it ok if I steel wool those out and apply a light sheen of oil to the bare metal to keep the rust out while I wait for my blanket and refractory cement for bricking it? I plan on using high heat adhesive to hold the 1/2" ceramic blanket to the walls. Is that ok too?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Sorry Eustis, just saw this. Mines due to be ready in Decemberish

Don't worry too much about adhesive. Cut your pieces slightly larger and it will tuck into place. Try not to compress the blanket between the sheathing and the bricks. You'll lose some of the insulation benefits. If you can swing it, put a double layer in there for one full inch of blanket. Part of the reason to insulate is to keep the heat in the box and not on your legs, but it's also to keep the sheathing from warping. I have an inch of blanket and I warped mine pretty good - enough that it messed up the bricks inside a bit and I had to fix it the following off season.

Congrats on the new rig!

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12