+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to tap Northeast of Bangor?

Quote Originally Posted by Page Meadow Maple View Post
    Have collected about 165 gallons of sap since last Thursday. More in one weeek than I got all last season, thanks to the early, intense flow of sap and the addition of 50 more taps. Brix was 3.2. Excited to see what my new half pint will do with this volume. My double turkey fryer evaporators +fish fryer warming system wouldn't have stood a chance!

Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines
    I remember when you came on last year looking for advice on how to get started, now you are a raging sap-a-holic! Great stuff! My suggestion with a halfpint sitting on 165 gal. of sap = GET BUSY!

OMG, you are right, sap seeker. I have caught March Maple Madness. I boiled all day yesterday and will be very busy bottling what looks like fancy amber in my pan. Can't wait to tally/taste the final result!
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine

Default Is today the real start of the season north of Bangor?

I am about 20 miles south of Lincoln. We've had four short runs since the last week of February and lots of cold, snowy breaks in between. Hoping today marks the real start of the season! What's your experience been this season?

Thanks to Bob's Sugar shack in Dover-Foxcroft and Highland Sugarworks in Milo for excellent Maine Maple Saturday events!
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine

Our sugarbush that is on a South slope just started running good 2 days ago, no vac, just 100 taps into a 100 gallons tank. Last two days the tank was full. All the rest are Eastern or northern slopes, so I think our best runs are yet to come.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Quote Originally Posted by Page Meadow Maple View Post
    I am about 20 miles south of Lincoln. We've had four short runs since the last week of February and lots of cold, snowy breaks in between. Hoping today marks the real start of the season! What's your experience been this season?
    We're all in the same boat to one degree or another. Late Feb was great for me, but lots of cold and not lots of sap since. Way behind last year's total, but still thinking it will be an above average year before its over.

If you got 3+ gallons/tap in Feb, then that was the real start of the season. This will just be the real start of the second half!
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12